Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dreaded black A2Z question. With a possible answer...

Default Re: The dreaded black A2Z question. With a possible answer...

Quote Originally Posted by yogiZ View Post
    What do you experts think of this beauty? A2 (Z?) SN not readable FON 11999

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2 FON 11999.jpeg 
Views:	392 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	185029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2 Label.jpeg 
Views:	425 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	185030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soundhole A2.jpeg 
Views:	329 
Size:	921.4 KB 
ID:	185031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back A2.jpeg 
Views:	295 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	185032
    Same as mine... Label just says A with not readable SN (someone wrote over with pencil but without the first 7) but same rosette, back binding and inlaid logo on headstock and same FON 11999.

Name:	23A2_black_jg.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	185135
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I don't see how you could misread that label. It's an A2-Z on a cloudy day.

Blog Entries

Is there any way to tell if mandolins were originally part of one of the orchestra sets that Gibson used to make up and ship to orchestras? Just thinking there may be other reasons for refinishing other than cosmetic covering up. If an orchestra wanted a set of black instruments then the a bit of repurposing to make up a set would make sense too. Has anyone ever found any info that would allow those sets to be identified?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Fascinating stuff. Sent the A2Z off to Cumberland Acoustics for a Refret and a setup. Really excited to have it back. It will be with me for the long-haul for sure. When I first picked it up, I knew it was a keeper. It's label is cool, for sure. But, I love the story and the discussion that is has generated. I write about guitars in my spare time, and the history and strange practices of Gibson fascinate me. I love Martins, but they are straight instruments ; ) I'm kinda crooked ; )

Gibson was notoriously strange in its practices for sure. That is why we love them. I have had my A-2 for about 40 years. Sometimes the newer kids get more play time but I always pick it up and appreciate it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Anything is possible with a factory produced instrument.

I will occasionally intentionally make a black topped mandolin that has a burst back or neck. For those instruments, I burst the initial coat of the top the same as the back, before the black gets added. It is a subtle little surprise for the future owner in 50 years when the finish starts getting worn, just like the English imported 1950s stratocasters that had red over an original burst finish that did not show up until recently when the topcoat finally was worn down.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

8. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

This mandolin was purchased from Mandolin Brothers advertised as a '1923 A2' with serial number 74753. FON 11971.

Name:	IMG_20161001_0001.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	186118 After several years of playing part of the top finish revealed the characteristic 'black inside white' top binding

Name:	100_0402.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	696.6 KB 
ID:	186124It also has two superimposed labels but doesn't indicate a model.
    MJB

Blog Entries

Beautiful instruments...

But, a word of caution... I have a friend whose beautiful ca ~2000 black body Martin dreadnought's top-center-seam opened up while being played under about 30 minutes of direct southern California summer sun. This wasn't in the desert, just in one of the towns outside of L.A., so there was nothing extraordinary going on. And in that group, other people who had similar vintage natural finish Martins also in the sun had no problem.

Since witnessing that I hesitate to play any black or dark finish instrument in direct sunlight. They just get too hot, too fast. Best to err on the side of caution.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogiZ View Post
    The top has white binding all around, but on the spots where the black finish has gone you can see a black binding on the inner side of the white binding. Isn't typical for A2z and A3?
    Yes, thats is one of the identifing characteristics

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Remember the mandolin was intended for classical music. The musicians wore formal dress, and it was not uncommon for them to request the Gibson respray their instrument black to be "more formal". I have had several instruments that were resprayed black, including a 1920 F4 and a 1915 A3.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Johnson View Post
    Remember the mandolin was intended for classical music. The musicians wore formal dress, and it was not uncommon for them to request the Gibson respray their instrument black to be "more formal". I have had several instruments that were resprayed black, including a 1920 F4 and a 1915 A3.
    I have often heard that instruments were oversprayed in clear to "freshen them up" when sent back to Gibson to preserve a new appearance for musicians playing "tuxedo" gigs.

Similarly, I seem to remember Brian Epstein having John Lennon's Rickenbacker guitar repainted black to freshen up their image in the Beatles pre-fame days....

My "A" snakehead with A2Z trimmings. Note the black trim internal to the white binding on the bass side (which is obscured where the black top finish is intact)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0645.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	188082  

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bfisher690 View Post
    It will be with me for the long-haul for sure. When I first picked it up, I knew it was a keeper.
    This long-haul keeper appears on the move again, having gone from Charles Johnson to the OP and more recently TR Crandall to the classifieds in the last year. I hope it finds a good home.

https://trcrandall.com/collections/a...23-gibson-a2-z

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/168109#168109
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    This long-haul keeper appears on the move again, having gone from Charles Johnson to the OP and more recently TR Crandall to the classifieds in the last year. I hope it finds a good home.

https://trcrandall.com/collections/a...23-gibson-a2-z

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/168109#168109
    I am sure it will be another long-haul keeper for the next owner as well as subsequent owners for the long haul after that.

I will never say that about any instrument I own but this A2 has been with me for more than 40 years. I guess that is a long haul already.

I still like coming back to it and its neck is perfect for me. If I ever commissioned a mandolin from a luthier I would show him or her that neck to duplicate.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-07-2021 at 2:35pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: