Thread: Newbie Here

Default Newbie Here

I never played a mandolin before.
    It sems harder to fret for some reason than it is a guitar.. The action on my Ibanez 510e mando seems ok. Are most mandolins harder to fret than guitars.

Default Re: Newbie Here

Mandolins have higher string tension than guitars. You could reduce this tension by changing to lighter gauge strings. You may even consider flat top strings but they are more expensive. What string type and gauge are you presently using on your mandolin? What type of mandolin are you playing? Mandolas will definitely be easier to fret but the scale length is significantly longer which makes it physically more difficult to play. The finger stretch is significantly longer and takes time to accommodate. The strings are tuned CGDA rather than GDAE.
    You may want to verify the setup of your mandolin. Often adjusting the action will permit lowering of the strings which if possible would surely help.
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Apr-17-2020 at 7:59am.

3. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

Nevin 

I own a Ibanez 510. I had to have the nut filed before the instrument was easy to play.

Blog Entries

Hi, AP! See my signature re mandolin setup.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

6. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Nevin 

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Mandolins have higher string tension than guitars. You could reduce this tension by changing to lighter gauge strings. You may even consider flat top strings but they are more expensive. What string type and gauge are you presently using on your mandolin? What type of mandolin are you playing? Mandolas will definitely be easier to fret but the scale length is significantly longer which makes it physically more difficult to play. The finger stretch is significantly longer and takes time to accommodate. The strings are tuned CGDA rather than GDAE.
    You may want to verify the setup of your mandolin. Often adjusting the action will permit lowering of the strings which if possible would surely help.
    It's an M510E Ibanez
    I just recently ordered GHS Strings A240 Phosphor Bronze Loop End, Ultra Light. I firmly believe the original strings are on it stock from ibanez. Are these strings a good choice?

Yes mandolins are harder to fret than guitars. Dual string, higher tension, shorter scale length courses and a narrower neck with less room for your fingers cause this. Add to this your Ibanez was most likely NOT setup at all when you bought it.

Some beginners choose to run single string courses to make things a little easier.

Lighter strings will most certainly help but a good set up as mentioned above in several replies is often the best strategy to make an instrument playable. Stock instruments are always set up to high! Their is a cost depending upon location and luthier. This could run approximately $70-150 for a good set up. It should include adjustment of the nut and bridge. For playability there is nothing better than having an instrument properly set up.
    Generally a proper setup would be included in the purchase price of a higher end instrument by reputable dealers.
    The only problem may be finding someone open for business these days due the ongoing virus presence. You could always try changing to lighter gauge strings and see how this will work for you. Not that significant of an investment!

thinner strings reach pitch at lower tension .

Having the 2 strings close together, under your finger tip, does spread out the pressure a bit..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If it is still too hard to play with the GHS 240 strings and you can't get to someone to do a setup, tune it down a half or full step and play it like that until someone can set it up properly.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Your best choices:
    1) proper setup
    2) proper setup
    3) proper setup
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Your best choices:
    1) proper setup
    2) proper setup