Thread: Ibanez M510E Question

Default Ibanez M510E Question

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here on this forum and this is my very first post. I just recently purchased a slightly used Ibanez M510E on Reverb for a decent price of $157 total. It supposedly had 1 owner and the shop that sold it to me looks pretty reputable. When I received it, I noticed I needed to adjust the intonation as it was out, and had to tweak the truss rod, because the neck is was a little wavy. (I do have some decent luthier skills with guitars and basses). Now I'm wondering if this thing is defective or not. I'm afraid to tighten the truss rod anymore, as there's still some waviness to the neck. It could use another 1/4 turn I suppose. I'm wondering if I should just send it back. Any responses will surely help. It plays ok, I suppose, I never owned a mandolin prior so anything will help. I just ordered a new set of GHS 9s , there light strings.

Thanks....
    Vince

Default Re: Ibanez M510E Question

The old luthier's trick to gain some more turns on the truss rod safely, is too loosen the strings, remove the truss rod nut, put a drop of oil in the threads, just a drop, don't soak it, THEN put a couple small washers over the truss rod, replace the truss rod nut, then tighten. Should give you what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    The old luthier's trick to gain some more turns on the truss rod safely, is too loosen the strings, remove the truss rod nut, put a drop of oil in the threads, just a drop, don't soak it, THEN put a couple small washers over the truss rod, replace the truss rod nut, then tighten. Should give you what you need.
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. Great idea.
    Because I'm new w Mandolins, it is a pain when you have to retune it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Possum View Post
    Because I'm new w Mandolins, it is a pain when you have to retune it. Lol
    It doesn't get any less obnoxious, haha.

Default M510e

I think I'm going to send it back. I can't get the neck to straighten out. This mandolins action seems too high, however I'm not sure. Question...Is it harder to play a mandolin with reference to action and pressing down on strings, compared to a guitar?
    Last edited by Angry Possum; Apr-17-2020 at 7:03am.

If your action is good, with a flat neck it will play quite easily.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If your action is good, with a flat neck it will play quite easily.
    I'm changing the strings shortly to GHS Strings A240 Phosphor Bronze Mandolin Strings, Loop End, Ultra Light. Maybe this will help. I believe there is stock Ibanez strings on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Possum View Post
    I'm changing the strings shortly to GHS Strings A240 Phosphor Bronze Mandolin Strings, Loop End, Ultra Light. Maybe this will help. I believe there is stock Ibanez strings on it now.
    I don't remember, but I think this has a magnetic pickup, if I am wrong ignore this. If I am right the bronze strings will only pickup the core and may sound weak. You will need an electric string. GHS makes a pure nickel for mandolin that will work, or you can make up strings from guitar sets. They are heavier than the 240's tho. The windings need to be able to be picked up by a magnet to have a full sounding low end.

Default How do I upload photos.

I don't remember, but I think this has a magnetic pickup, if I am wrong ignore this. If I am right the bronze strings will only pickup the core and may sound weak. You will need an electric string. GHS makes a pure nickel for mandolin that will work, or you can make up strings from guitar sets. They are heavier than the 240's tho. The windings need to be able to be picked up by a magnet to have a full sounding low end.
    Good point, thanks for that.
    Ughhhh. I'm not too concerned with the electronics pickup part. Just interested to see if these strings will be good, with reference to the action, playability, feel etc.

How do I upload photos?
    Last edited by Angry Possum; Apr-17-2020 at 12:39pm.

Some photos of the warped neck.
    https://imageshack.com/i/pnERzxSxj
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6876/7Q92K8.jpg

Do I have to remove the felt pad under the saddle. Pic enclosed.
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5917/8pvdj6.jpg

Yes you should remove the foam from under the bridge foot. Have you tried adjusting the truss rod? If the truss rod won't correct the neck I would send it back or you will have to level frets. If a fret level won't cure it pulling the frets, plane the fingerboard and refret.

Blog Entries

Definitely, yes, do remove that bit of sound deadener that is between the bridge and the mando top. (the saddle is the piece that sits on the bridge and which the adjusting wheels raise or lower).
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Yes you should remove the foam from under the bridge foot. Have you tried adjusting the truss rod? If the truss rod won't correct the neck I would send it back or you will have to level frets. If a fret level won't cure it pulling the frets, plane the fingerboard and refret.
    It's not fretting out anywhere, it's just the action issue now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Definitely, yes, do remove that bit of sound deadener that is between the bridge and the mando top. (the saddle is the piece that sits on the bridge and which the adjusting wheels raise or lower).
    I did thanks.

Not to sound snarky, but you have a $157 plywood mandolin -- that's generally available new for $199. You'll have to be the judge of how much labor and expense you want to put into it. Unless I were interested in developing instrument repair skills (and I'm not), I wouldn't go much further than tweaking the truss rod as much as possible, and putting a new set of electric-mandolin strings on it. Going into fret leveling/pulling, fretboard planing, or anything beyond an hour's work, would be trying to make the proverbial silk purse out of the equally proverbial sow's ear, IMHO.

Or, you could always send it back. Cost you shipping, chalk it up to experience.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I have the same model, and I'm happy with it. Of course, if the neck is warped, that's serious and shouldn't have been sold to you in that state.

It's normal for mandolin strings to resist more than guitar strings. They're under more tension, and there's two of them in each course. I don't play guitar, but whenever I play around with a friend's guitar I get surprised by the looseness of the strings. It's just a different instrument.

I had one of those, I bought it used at a GC in SC. Was in kindof rough shape and it took several tweaking sessions to get it playing well but I learned on it and even played it on stage.

I ended up selling it for about what I paid because I found the neck shape was too bulky and bothered my hand, otherwise I would still own it. I tend to use lighter strings (10's) and there was no problem of the single coil pickup with PB strings, actually tones down the bass of nickel strings to my ear.

Overall I am an Ibanez fan and own several of their guitars and basses. Hard to tell about a neck problem without seeing it but sounds like you have more experience than I. I have done a few fret leveling jobs so if the neck is actually straight and is responding to truss rod adjustments AND you have the leveling tools you could try that.

A MC member offers a free ebook on mando setup, lookup Rob Meldrum in the members and PM him.

Good Luck!

I think Ibanez has some spotty quality issues. Send it back and get another. It was too late for me to do the same.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ghlight=ibanez