Thread: threaded rod size on teens Gibson pickguard mounts?

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Default threaded rod size on teens Gibson pickguard mounts?

After 1914 or so Gibson used a threaded rod to connect the pickguard clamp to the pickguard. I am looking for a replacement rod - I have the clamp, the acorn nut and the pickguard with the threaded block glued underneath. Does anyone know the thread size for this rod? Thanks! Charles

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: threaded rod size on teens Gibson pickguard mounts?

You're not going to like the answer on this, but I believe the thread is 5-40, which is no longer in standard use.

If I remember correctly, I have made one up from a brass rod available at Ace and a 4-40 die, which produced a fit which was rather loose with the original Gibson nuts. A 5-40 die is liable to be a bit hard to find and expensive. Or you can get modern 4-40 nuts at Ace.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

McMaster Carr and Fastenal do offer a limited selection of socket head cap screws and nuts in 5-40. The cap screws are hardened to a degree but can be cut with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool or something similar. I do not know if any of those would work for you.

5. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

5-40 fasteners are a standard UNC size and are readily available from several sources. McMaster Carr stocks threaded rods as well as headed fasteners in many lengths and material types. The rods and most of the fasteners are threaded along their entire length so will not look historically correct. McMaster also sells 5-40 threading dies so that you could thread a piece of 1/8” (0.125”) smooth rod on each end. 1/8” is the major (outer) diameter of a 5-40 thread.

BTW the adjustment posts on original Gibson bridges and the Cumberland Acoustics Bridges also use a 5-40 thread.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

A few years ago I replaced a broken truss rod in a guitar and I couldn't get a similar rod. I went to a machine shop and had them make a rod like the original. It cost me $20. I couldn't buy something else and refit it for that. A machine shop can turn any thread, they would most likely make you one for not to much $$$.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

For you UK folks, the 5BA might be a good substitute as I’ve heard small UNC isn’t easy to get. Or, a loose fit with 1/8-40W. Having restored British cars, the wonderful universe of thread standards was always a challenge. There were even metric forms that were distinctly not metric as anyone else knew them.
    Anyhow, as said,, 5-40 isn’t that rare in the US, but as usual, if you buy one tiny tap, buy at least two more, just because.
    Also, if you come across what is called a ‘screw plate’, which is a plate drilled with a range of small threaded holes, it’s really useful to identify what that fastener is, or in a pinch thread something soft. Model maker and jewelry supplies places, and tag sales.

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Thanks for all the replies. I bought some 5/40 all thread rod on Amazon and it fit perfectly.