Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last Mando standing, How to choose?

Default Re: Last Mando standing, How to choose?

I’d keep the Eastie 505 of course. Value to me vs value-in-cash is like a 4-1 ratio.

I went through this about 15 years ago when broke after going back to school for a year. Didn’t sell any mandolins. I sold a Tak solid-body GZ300 (made a profit, and have regretted it) and an open-back banjo I built myself 25yrs earlier but never played anymore (went to someone who wanted it, that’s a plus, I am curious what its been up to and wouldnt mind meeting up for a few drinks and stories). I also put my long-beloved Martin 0-18 up for consignment, but recovered it after the other two sold. My family was mad at me that I even tried to sell it, it’s a lifer now.

So in my modest mando collection now, I’d deal out the Seagull S8 (I’m biding my time waiting for a good deal on a full-size oval-hole, can take or leave the Seagull although they are good value and a good travel-instrument), the Fender Mandostrat (worth more now than when new, and I never play it) and the old Regal I restored some time back (it’s OK but I just don’t like the sound or feel that much). And the Serenader tenor banjo. Possibly even its successor the Ludwig, if I could find a good shorter-scale 17-fret model. I would also let go either the Taylor Mini-GS or the Flambeau (Lowden-designed, great guitar but dreads are not for me anymore), I don’t need three acoustics. And probably the Yamaha hollow-body electric I guess, haven’t even seen it in years (it’s somewhere under the basement stairs). Total proceeds from all six (not counting the Ludwig) would be around two grand gross, maybe 1500 after consignment costs.

That would leave me with the Eastman, the P Cox flattop mandola, and the Trinity College octave. Which all get actively played, or would if the mandola wasn’t quarantined several provinces away. Along with two acoustics and the Cort headless bass, that would be a fairly rational working collection. (And leave some room for a couple new members.)

Just deleted a small novel about my downsizing over the past couple of years. Was way too long. To summarize, I kept my first good guitar, a Guild D40 blem that my grandmother helped me buy, because of the sentimental value, but also because its battle scars meant I wouldn’t get as much $ as I did for the pristine and better known Taylor I sold. I wasn’t selling for $, but to create space, so I kept the two mandos I play the most and launched the others, which are now in the hands of people loving and playing them. Had I been selling for money I’d have sold the nicer instruments, kept my Silverangel Econo (which was awesome, but not well known enough for local dealers to give me a fair value on it) and the Guild, and hoped I could replenish when times improve. I play for fun and occasionally at church, so I don’t need all that I had like a working musician might.

I hope you don’t have to sell, because now is a tough time to do so, and because I hope you don’t reach that point financially. Best of luck, though, if you do. FWIW, Dennis at TMS has given me the most fair trade in values on mandolin family instruments compared to my local dealers, but I haven’t sold anything through him yet.
    Chuck

I only have 2 mandolins, and only 1 worth talking about.

I hope none of us are forced to consolidate. Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will be right up ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Think of it like this:

If your house is on fire, which is the first one you would rush in to save?
    1. Girouard F4 2. Ellis F5 3. Girouard A oval 4. Ellis A5 5. wife !

Since the value of my mandos are all close I'd have to choose my Tacoma M3. While slightly unconventional, it's still my favorite to play any style on, and is rock solid mechanically,if that makes sense. What I mean is in the 20 plus years of owning from brand new, I don't think I've had to do any tweeks but for maybe once? Can't remember ever but I'm sure there must have been one in there somewhere.