Thread: Tiny Moore electric 5-string lesson

Default Tiny Moore electric 5-string lesson

This just popped up in my recommendations: fellow Grand Rapidian Hayes Griffin is posting some "Tiny Moore Tuesday" lesson videos of Tiny Moore songs. Here's today's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFQ7p42784 - looks like the PDFs and everything are free on his site, too.

Looks like he was doing "Tiny Moore Tuesdays" a few years ago- there are a few things in the archive way back.

(I'm also digging that 5 string fan fret tele style electric he is playing!)

Hope everyone is safe and jamming!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mreidsma For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tiny Moore electric 5-string lesson

I'm digging that 5 string too. I'm guessing I'm not the only one that had trouble with intonation on the 5th string. The fanned frets seem like a great idea for 5 stringers.

Hayes sez he & a luthier friend built this beast. It's a very cool idea; I know Joel Eckhaus made a few Boomerang models with fan frets, and Ralph Novak, who patented the Novax fan fret system, made at least one 5-string emando using his concept. It would be nice to see some more instruments like this one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Nice instrument. Tiny Moore is transcribe-worthy if anyone is. Tiny played all that on a four string.

You need to try fanned frets to know if they are for you. I found them difficult to play on a 5th tuned instrument because of where the notes sit but YMMV.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Love Tiny Moore! I actually have a faux Bigsby 5 string electric mandolin that one of my friends built for me. Just wondering, what are fanned frets?

Quote Originally Posted by mreidsma View Post
    This just popped up in my recommendations: fellow Grand Rapidian Hayes Griffin is posting some "Tiny Moore Tuesday" lesson videos of Tiny Moore songs. Here's today's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFQ7p42784 - looks like the PDFs and everything are free on his site, too.

Looks like he was doing "Tiny Moore Tuesdays" a few years ago- there are a few things in the archive way back.

(I'm also digging that 5 string fan fret tele style electric he is playing!)

Hope everyone is safe and jamming!
    Yeah, I've had my eye on that fan fretted Tele style 5 string for awhile now. Sounds great.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer&adele View Post
    Just wondering, what are fanned frets?
    Fanned frets are a way to provide different length strings on a single instrument. I know this is a guitar, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fanned-frets-explained.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	185785

https://guitargearfinder.com/faq/fan...ets-explained/

The reason I don't like them on a mandolin is they force the fingers to twist in awkward ways to make chord shapes. If you're just playing dyads, triads and soloing it isn't as much of an issue, but if you want to play full chords and etc. it gets trying. I'm sure you can get used to it, I just didn't like it on the instrument I tried. Works great for bass (which is a single note instrument) but play-ability goes downhill after that IMO.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Hey Verne! Thank you for answering my question!

11. The following members say thank you to farmer&adele for this post:

I actually have a faux Bigsby 5 string electric mandolin that one of my friends built for me.
    Would love to see some photos of that! I've been thinking that would be a fun build.

13. The following members say thank you to mreidsma for this post: