Thread: Bridge Compensation Query?

Default Bridge Compensation Query?

I don’t recall this having been asked previously but why do carved top mandolins need a fully compensated bridge/saddle whilst many flat topped mandolins seem to get away with a “guitaresque” saddle? I have several of the former and a couple of the latter and don’t notice tuning issues between the two.

Default Re: Bridge Compensation Query?

I have a couple of cant topped mandolins, they all have compensated bridge/saddle.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Yeah but...

Guitars' "guitaresque" saddles, at least for steel strings, ARE compensated, even if only at just a slight angle. With there being only one string per course, it's not so critical that each string cross the saddle at an exact right angle, and no need for the zig-zag (a point that some would debate); "close enough" is usually considered... just that!

Plus, you'll often see that the guitar's saddle top is adjusted/rounded differently for the individual strings: usually, the lightest wound G/3rd string crosses the saddle toward the neck (making it the shortest wound string), while the heaviest plain B/2nd string crosses the saddle at the side away from the neck (making it longer than the G string). In my experience, only Takamine and some (older?) Lowden guitars go all-out to use seperate saddles for the wound-vs-unwound strings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompensatedSaddles.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	184957

Not to raise a ruckus, but: While most bowl-back mandolins are not compensated, some would say they sound like they're not compensated.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Default Ask a total stranger on the internet?

I'd try it and see, if you want to know ..1st hand..... then try a compensated one....
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Compensated saddles on guitars are a relative novelty; to me at least. Yes, on steel strings they are slanted but, until relatively recently, that’s about all; although it’s always been necessary to tune the B a little flat to play in some keys.

What I’m thinking is that my Fylde has a straight, slanted, bone saddle and has no tuning issues. On the other hand my Kimbles apparently need fully comensated saddles to achieve much the same thing. What’s the difference?!

Here is a supposition. The Flyde is a flat top that uses light gauge strings that will stretch much more easily than the heavier strings on the Kimble. A classical guitar with nylon strings that stretch much more easily than steel, and has a straight saddle. I would venture to say the Flyde would possibly improve with compensated bridge, but is not as noticeable as would be the Kimble with the much heavier strings. You do have some compensation with the angled bridge, just not between the string pairs.

.... except that I use J74s on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    .... except that I use J74s on everything.
    So much for my theory, that's interesting. Most flat top mandolins don't require or handle heavier strings. I am not familiar with what strings Flyde recommends, but I would check on that.