Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparison video of the Loar LM-400 vs the Eastman 605

Default Comparison video of the Loar LM-400 vs the Eastman 605

Steve at Gianna's recorded a comparison video of these two mandolins which may interest some of you out there in the market for one of these A models.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Default Re: Comparison video of the Loar LM-400 vs the Eastman 605

Interesting comparison but for those in the market for a first Mandolin purchase it should be noted the Eastman 605 sells for around $760.00 and The Loar 400 can be had for around $500.00 both with HSC. If anything this only bolsters the value of The Loar 400 as IMHO they both sound great but I would think an apples to apples comparison would be with the Eastman 505 and The Loar 400 where the 505 is only $100.00 more at an average price of $600.00. But the again I am a little biased....
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I was thinking the same thing....the 605 is in a different price category, so it isn't a straight across comparison. All in all, the 400 does quite well, IMO.

Jeff

I agree The Loar does quite well indeed!

With all respect for the limited sound from my pc speakers, to me the Eastman is maybe a tiny bit louder, but I kind of like the sound of the Loar better, especially the "thud" of the D string.

The comparison was made specifically at the request of a customer. The MD605 is more like $715, still a bit away from the LM-400, but it comes with a case. Different instruments, different tastes. In hand, this particular pair showed the MD605 as noticeably more crisp on response.

Helps to use headphones on any of these things. I have to because the people who live my house have to have the TV on or their heads explode. Or some such thing. So I sort of live with headphones on at home!

I'll keep posting things as people ask. Rather than emailing videos to folks, I'll just put them up. Kill them when they're too obsolete.
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

Really enjoyable video Stephen. Thanks for posting.
    Both mandolins sound really nice.
    I particularly like what I'll call a certain untamed character I'm hearing from the Eastman.
    Impressive mandolins both - Good stuff!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by John Kinn View Post
    With all respect for the limited sound from my pc speakers, to me the Eastman is maybe a tiny bit louder, but I kind of like the sound of the Loar better, especially the "thud" of the D string.
    Yes, I kind of felt that the Eastman seemed a little louder as well, with perhaps a tad more mid-range punch or projection, or at the very least, "crisper" as Steve noted above. The wider neck of the Loar is the thing I like about it especially, even though I haven't had the privilege of playing an Eastman in person yet. My fairly large hands need as much width as I can get.

Jeff

I really do think there is a noticeable effect from the LM400 and LM 700 not having tone bars. The crispness is slightly less, and the "focus" perhaps less, too. However, the bass response and low end in general is quite good.

In person, dcoventry's observations are even more obvious. The LM400 is really a nice "feel good" instrument.
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

Recording problems aside these kind of comparisons are really an interesting way to weigh in on these semantical problems of what someone means in describing tone qualities. Clear, woody, punchy, chop, untamed, barky, etc, etc. I think we all think we understand but if we have the example to listen to, you could better define what an individual means when using these terms. On another thread about clarity it is obvious that sometimes the discussion is about apples and oranges. Also it would be great to hear some comparisons with tone bars etc. Great job on the comparison!!!!!! With the case involved I don't see a big price range difference.

I guess I am the customer that was checking out the Loar vs. Eastman. Steve did not have a md505 in stock at the time, but he had two md605 in stock. The day that I visited his shop he received a shipment of mandolins. In that shipment was another md605. So we tested the three md605 and the Loar 400 that day. I picked the newly delivered md605 when all the mandolins were played. The md605 was louder and the sound was crisp.

The Loar 400 is nice and if your budget is set at $500, it would be an excellent purchase at that price point. My budget was $1000 for a A-style F-hole mandolin. My cost was $715 plus the cost of an enhanced bridge. Steve's price was in line with other internet dealers. The real key to this whole deal was hearing the mandolins myself.

I think Steve does a great job of matching a customer to a specific instrument. He did an excellent job and the people in this region are very lucky to have him as a resource person for string instruments.

Blog Entries

Kent; congratulation on getting such a great mandolin. Play on, and enjoy!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Nothing against the The Loar, it sounds perfectly acceptable, but I prefer the Eastman. More volume, thicker tone, deeper bass. The Loar was a bit tinny and thin, it basically sounds like my KM-380s.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Eastman was clearly better to my ear, but both sound very good.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

That Loar made a real impression on my ears. Considering the relative prices I have to say the Eastman didn't seem to sound like more dollars.

Great sounding mandos.... but a mighty fine mando work bench too.
    Bart McNeil

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Wow, I preferred the 400 for a deeper and more authentic tone. The Eastman sounded green and brittle to my ears, but hey, that's what make the world go 'round... YMMV

The fast response and punch of the Eastman line more appeals to me. More sparkle. But different people like different things. I tend to like punchy crisp classical guitars and brilliant intense violins.

Just my generic work bench. My father-in-law died a couple of years ago. His extensive workshop included the bench. I asked the survivors if I could have it, and received approval to take it. It was in his basement. I cleared the stairs up to the outside, opened the angled storm door things (they must have a nice name), and ran it up on my big hand truck. Almost impossible. Barely fit. Then fit in my little truck, just barely, still on the truck. So I had to reorganize the shop, and I made that the centerpiece. Violins and computer by the window, power equipment along the wall, and guitar / mandolin opposite the violin bench. Working very well so far. I mainly work at the main new bench, but will have a violin with glue drying to one side and a mandolin on the other as I tend to this and that. The bench has 2 vices, a set of dogs, and a chip trench at the back. Very nice and efficient.

I find tastes change for players over time. They start out wanting warm and broad, end up wanting crisp and precise. Hardly matters what instrument is involved.
    Stephen Perry

I had a Brentrup recently that really defined beautiful tone. I am looking for piano like tones across the strings which would mean bell like highs, and tight, focused bass tones. I like to feel like I can aim the notes, so to speak.

Blog Entries

Seems like the Eastman rep has been that for the most part the higher the line the fancier the instrument but the sound quality was pretty consistent. That was my experience when I had a 515. I played the higher model x15s and while nicer to look at they were pretty consistent in sound.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Eastman's line now moves to Adirondack and US maples, and then adds oil varnish.

While not entirely consistent, some of the upper end ones have always been superior. Possibly a result of the better carvers getting the prettier wood.
    Stephen Perry

Hi, I know this is resurrecting a very old thread but just wondered if this video is still available at all. I am in the position of upgrading my Kentucky mandolin and have narrowed it down to these two models, a Loar 400 with Cumberland bridge and a used Eastman MD605 which is excellent condition. I did try the Loar earlier on but obviously now all the music shops are shut and are mail order only (I am in the UK). The Eastman is selling at £575 which I think is quite a good price and the Loar is very similarly priced. I know the Eastman has a pickup which isn't a massive deal breaker but would be nice although not essential. I realise it is down to personal choice but would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.
    Last edited by jen645; Apr-09-2020 at 10:50am.

It might come down to neck profile differences (comfort); My The Loar nut width is 1 3/16", a bit wide for some.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Apr-09-2020 at 11:52am.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Many thanks for that info, I didn't realise that, I still haven't decided but will bear that in mind. Thank you.