Thread: New to the Mandolin

Default New to the Mandolin

I was very fortunate to purchase a vintage mandolin. I have not started lessons, but I'm ready to go. Is there a website I can go to get the chords for mandolin songs?

This instrument has been calling to me for a long time. I love the sound of it. I'm excited to begin lessons

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: New to the Mandolin

Click the “Learn/Listen” tab at the top of the page and scroll down to “Chord Library.”
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

You could also try Barron over on Mandolessons.com.

4. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

+1 on MandoLessons.com. Lots of us got our start there.

There's a also several good Social Groups under "Listen/Learn," including one for Newbies

And welcome to the Cafe!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Blog Entries

As a perpetual Newbie who aspires to nothing more than that, allow me to welcome you to the Cafe and to the Newbies group if so inclined. See my signature:
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Hey, Ladyehawk!

I can appreciate you taking a bit to finally make the plunge. I look forward to seeing you around!

I've downloaded a Mel- Bay beginner book, and I'm starting to look at video lessons online. I'm beginning with mandolessons.com and going from there. I would like to just watch him play the chords for a while first. I'll most likely pick it up and start practicing sometime this week. I also have guitar which I have tried to learn and will most likely go back to. I retire in about 5 years so there is plenty of time to learn both. The mandolin just keeps calling to me. I think sometimes I was born in the wrong time period. I should have been a minstral or something in the middle ages......LOL

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Tell us about your vintage mandolin. Whatcha packin'?

Go to FlatPik.com and get on Steve Kaufman's mailing list. He has just done, and will be doing, little one hour lessons on various topics; I took the "Beginning Mandolin" which wasn't too overpowering and got some good study materials out of it. He said he will be doing more of this type of "one time" presentation in the future...

I really like PegHeadNations, different mandolin teachers, different styles, cost is very fair, presentation is excellent (video, sound, and visual acuity).
    And many times they will offer a free 30 day trial, and you can switch to different teachers a couple times to try different ones.
    d

I'm new also. I've been looking at some YouTube videos, to get me started. There's some great instructors on YT . Especially the YT user Marty Schwartz for the Guitar.

This guy is pretty good. Basic chords strum etc.
    https://youtu.be/lZSkP5Czz8o

Welcome aboard. You'll find this forum to be a welcoming and helpful place and the mandolin to be a positively wonderful instrument. You've received some good information so far. I would add that if you're willing to pay a relatively nominal subscription fee Peghead Nation is another great resource for online lessons.

Blog Entries

The now famous Mike Marshall video is an essential to getting started correctly.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Mike Marshall - artistworks.com has been awesome. the pegheadnation courses look great as well - be diligent in practice and follow what's being taught, even if it seems routine or you already know it - they build on each other, and you'll find yourself going back again on stuff you thought you knew...it's all great. And this forum has been exceptional in terms of information, process and ideas...great people.