Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of buying a second mandolin

Default Re: Thinking of buying a second mandolin

Whenever I’m asked for advice my answer is do ( or get) what makes you happy. You have been given a lot of advice on go to a store and try this or that. Well, with what’s going on now, that’s not going to happen anytime soon. I have three mandolins and they are all different, an Eastman 305, a National Rm1, and a Recording King resonator. They all have a different sound and that’s what I was looking for. It makes no sense to me to get something that sounds the similar to something that I already have. Check the classifieds here, Craigslist, and ebay if buying used is something that you may be of interest. Pawn shops can be an option, but be careful of condition and defects. Buying used will save you money.

Pro tip: don't ask this bunch whether you should buy a second (or fifth) mandolin. There's only one answer to that question. Which one to buy, you'll get all sorts of opinions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokchoy_ninja View Post
    I'm trying to rationalize owning two mandolins...
    On this journey, reason already whizzed past you long ago. When sliding into the dark dungeons of MAS, rationale is the thing to avoid - why not give in, enjoy the ride and hope the perfect one will never come (for that would put an end to the ride)?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokchoy_ninja View Post
    Just curious... Do you have a suggestion that isn't just "Spend more money" or "Buy another A style"?
    First, here's what you don't want to hear: It would make more sense (to me, anyhow) to put the money toward a higher-quality A than sink it into a same-quality F. Like a Howard Morris, for instance.

(And keep in mind that if you buy used, you can rocoup your money when you sel. If you buy new, you'll lose when you sell.)

Second, here's are two different suggestions, which is what you want to hear:

1. Get a reso. There are often cool resonator mandos in the classified here and at www.reverb.com that will give you a very different sound. Which makes more sense than going for a similar sound.

2. Get an oval F Kentucky or Eastman. It'll sound different than what you have — more open, more resonant.

3. Save up for a higher quality oval A. It'll sound different than what you have.

F-hole A's and f-hole F's are essentially the same instrument. It makes sense to collect them if you're after collectibles, but Kentuckys and Eastmans are not collectibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Get a reso. There are often cool resonator mandos in the classified here and at www.reverb.com that will give you a very different sound. Which makes more sense than going for a similar sound.
    Really? That's the last thing I'd consider if I was looking for a mandolin. I have one that I haven't played in probably 3 years. For someone wanting to get into mandolins, I would think a resophonic was be out of the question. I'm ready to sell mine.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

The thing about the Eastman 300 series is that the hardware is cheaper than on the higher-number Eastmans, and (call it a hunch) you will likely find yourself pretty soon spending hundreds more upgrading the tailpiece, the tuners, the bridge...which a lot of people do, and then they have an upgraded 315 or whatever, which they will never get the money back on cause its a pimped-out 315, not a 615. So more economical really to start in the 515 zone. (You will still want to upgrade the tuners at some point.). Or, there’s a 415 in the classifieds right now listed at $851, the 400 series has mahogany bodies which is a little different...and the upgraded tailpiece.

Around 1980 when I started having 8-string fever, every corner music store had several pretty good all-solid Japanese-made F-5 copies which sold for $200-$230. I sure wish I’d kept the one I bought. I wonder where they all went? There were zillions of them then.

By the way, the current model of sub-$1000 F-5ish objects available new in music stores, here in Canada anyway, is a blonde Epiphone($900 Cdn at Long & McQuade.) I tried one and found it very disappointing in everything that matters to me—sound, feel, quite substandard fit and finish. But it has a scroll and electronics, so they sell. Beware. I bet lots of them will be available used pretty soon. Not bargains.