Thread: Noob looking for a little direction.

Default Noob looking for a little direction.

Hi cafe members, I’ve been lurking for a while and am amazed that you all have what seems to be the most complete resource on mandolins available. I think I have been able to narrow down specifically where I’d like to start but have wanted to ask for some feedback on my specific choices.
    I have found a few nice options that are going to keep me under my limit of about $700. Unfortunately, with the stay at home orders here and my having had mild reoccurring symptoms, I’m not able to test and play to see what fits my ear as much as I would hope to. As if there were any great options left here in San Diego anyways that said, I’m going off of reviews, audio clips, videos and such for the most part. I’d like to get something used and already broken in unless I can just find a killer deal. I’ve found that older instruments often tend to have a bit more earthy and softly resonant tone, while retaining the type of forward attack f hole mandolins are known for. I’ve also had great experiences with older import acoustics, like early Japanese and Korean sigma’s, Yamahas, arias, peerless, Ibanez, etc. think matsumoku. I’m also not afraid to do a little work on these or consider getting a pro setup from Fred at repair zone here in San Diego. All that said I’m hoping there might be some experience you all could relay to me with three that I am considering that are currently available, and how I might get a little more confidence in the decision.
    Here are some specifics:

I’m looking at a Kentucky km-756 that is being sold new from a teacher on Craigslist san diego at $600. Pretty much new, maybe plucked around during a few lessons. I think this could be setup at the price. It’s a new instrument, obviously seems well made. I’m not sure if the sound is going to be too bright and lack the natural sound of other options. That seems to be what I’m hearing from available sound bites. But would be willing to hear him play it from a healthy distance. I’m a little hesitant to get something new and don’t want to be paying the extra for a scroll necessarily. But the price is right and the guy knows his stuff and is looking offload some that were meant for students, while teaching has understandably taken a hit.
    Sorry I don’t have a link here but my understanding is that this going to be just like the 751, 752, or 755 just a different color.

Second is an Eastman md605 that is currently on reverb, setup for a lefty from the looks of it. Again, I wouldn’t mind learning the setup process myself. I work on acoustic guitars often to keep up my stable. The pickup is a nice feature, as I would likely play some gigs that would require amplification once I get my chops up and may also get more use/practice with a looping option early on. The pickup is something I could see adding to any of these later on. I also think the sound quality of Eastman speaks for itself. As well as so many others speaking highly of them here.
    https://reverb.com/item/32640201-eas...bacco-sunburst

Third is the 80’s Kentucky posted in the classified’s (if still available): https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/150135#150135

Something about getting a nice old Japanese made instrument gets my neurons firing. I just can’t find anything about these outside of the fact that the higher end ones are sought after. Not much info on the mid / lower tier, but that doesn’t mean much in my experience with those old factories. Kind of similar to eastmans now, where higher end is usually fit, finish and frills, more than the end result of the sound and playability. That price of $500 would give me room for the pro setup, and possibly getting a nice pickup installed. I just have no idea of the sound. Maybe I could ask the seller to pick a few and send a file?

Thanks again for your constant patience with us noobs on our quest to enter a new realm of music!

Default Re: Noob looking for a little direction.

Welcome to the Cafe! This used Eastman 604 (built in pick up) in the Cafe classifieds might interest you...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153080#153080

NFI

Good luck on your hunt.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Your absolutely right, this would have everything I’m looking for, but after considering the affect the sound holes have on sound, I leaned more towards the f-hole designs. I actually looked into this exact model but think I am leaning towards more attack rather than full bodied tone and resonance. I expect to have to battle with the sounds of guitar a little and so want an instrument that can stand out just a bit more.
    Thanks for sending that my way!

4. The following members say thank you to Kevin Fleming for this post:

I’m fact, that same model popped up locally recently. I almost pulled the trigger on it. But I am really leaning towards the f-hole sound.

I'd buy the Kentucky km-756 locally. That's a great price on it.

Here's the pickup I'd go with:
    http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

If the instrument is being sold by a knowledgeable mandolin teacher, chances are that it is already setup

Thanks stevojack, I’m tempted to just swing down and pick it up. Definitely the fewest questions when buying locally.

8. The following members say thank you to Kevin Fleming for this post:

I've never so much as seen a KM-756, but that is about 60 percent of the new price so even if you hate it, you can probably get your money back if you sell it later.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I recently got a km500e mandolin from The Mandolin Store. This little gem punches way above its weight. I think you would be happy with the kn756. I have no experience with older 1980s Kentucky mandos, but most MC members seem to like them.