Thread: Elixir strings

Default Elixir strings

I have been using elixir medium strings. Sometimes while re stringing I have issues with the E strings breaking. I was wondering if I could buy elixir single strings. I can’t Find any online or on their website. I noticed D’Addario sales singles. I know the wound strings on the elixirs are different, but are the A and E strings the same as D’Addario ?

Default Re: Elixir strings

Welcome to the forum Andy. I’ve always Avoided ttrying Elixirs on mandolin as only half the set is actually coated. I would expect the manufacturers to argue otherwise but I think the consensus in the mandolin community would be that one unwound string is pretty much the same as any other.

I used Elixir string for quite a while and really like them on one of my mandolins. They sounded good, seemed easier to play and lasted quite a while. Eventually the coating would start to come off letting me know it was overdue for a string change. I never had an issue with breaking a string when stinging them up. Is it the same string? Is there any possibility that there is a rough spot at the bridge or the nut? I would also think that you could buy some singles in case of breaking one and don't think you would hear a real difference.

There is a video on the site one of the members made maybe 3 or 4 years ago on changing strings. I always had a problem having the strings to long or short if I put the looped end in the tailpiece and then started winding at the post. So the video has you start at the peg on the tuner and then attach to the tailpiece (hard to do with some cast tailpieces). Once you have done it a couple of times it is easy to get the correct length or string and you don't have the string running through the nut or over the bridge while you tighten up. I will see if I can find the video but may be worth a try to see if it makes a difference?

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes it’s both E strings and they are breaking almost in the middle. Like where the pick meets the strings. I agree with some the elixir strings are a little bright but to me they play so smooth and it’s not rough on my fingers.

Okay buddy thanks so much! That what I kinda figured.