Thread: Charmed life picks

Default Charmed life picks

Russ Jordan

Default Re: Charmed life picks

I have two. I like them for guitar but haven't found one I like for mandolin. The owner is a good guy.

Haven't tried any of their casein picks but did get one of their vespel (same material Blue Chips are made of) picks and the tip broke off after 5 minutes of playing. They replaced it, but I prefer Blue Chips meself.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I like their casein when I want a softer tone with my Collings mandolin. I also have some of their vespel picks, I find them essentially the same as Blue Chips, although I like the bevels better on the Blue Chips.

I was just looking at their online store. Very difficult to navigate website. You have to scroll through images of picks and click on each one for a description and find out what it is made of. Several of the picks reference the “best selling brown series”, but I sure can’t find a brown series pick. People here have referenced the Vespal picks, it I have not found any with that description.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I was just looking at their online store. Very difficult to navigate website. You have to scroll through images of picks and click on each one for a description and find out what it is made of. Several of the picks reference the “best selling brown series”, but I sure can’t find a brown series pick. People here have referenced the Vespal picks, it I have not found any with that description.
    Blue Chip's patent on polyimide (such as Vespel or Meldin) picks was granted last year. So, at least in the US, anyone else selling picks made of those materials had to stop. That explains older references to "brown" picks by CL, but no reference to them on their site currently.

7. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

I haven't tried their casein picks, but I have a Chris Thile D'Addario casein pick that I like more than I thought I would. It gets as much use as my CT55 Blue Chip.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've used the Charmed LIfe casein pick and liked it a little better than the Red Bear caseins.
    I always end up going back to my BC TP48.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I have a couple very old Red Bear casein Mando picks. They have a more well-defined bevel than the more current Red Bears I have gotten in the last year or so. Might just need to use them more.

Really liking the Dunlop Primetone 512P1.4 and 512P1.5.

My preferences in picks is an ongoing thing(maybe just aging). After playing mandolin for a number of years I changed my grip significantly within the past 2 or 3 years. Gone to a tad thinner and a bit pointier plectrum. (and making myself practice a lot tremolo, like playing "Naima" for 15 minutes; or,Flatbush Waltz(not the intro.)

If I can tremolo decently with a pick then it's going to get used.

It's a toss up for me between Charmed Life (I have a blue and a flame) and BlueChips. I've been tending to choose the Charmed Life more frequent for both the guitar and mandolin.

The guy that makes them couldn't be nicer. He's always been a real pleasure to deal with and always very informative. I don't think he's ever written a bad thing about another pick or manufacturer-- a real gentlemen.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

I had never heard of Charmed Life picks before yesterday. I was looking for a John Prine video with Fats Kaplan on mandolin, and came across this: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=525071

I've got a couple of the triangles when they first started out. Felt at the time the quality was just about equal to Red Bear. Will still occasionally use it. Have gone towards thinner more pointed picks for band practice/performance. However, still will grab a casein pick for practice alone at home. And yes, the owner is one of the nicest guys out there. Very helpful.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The CL mando"chip" shape is 1.5mm,yes?

Is there much of a bevel on them or can they be ordered with/without?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    the tip broke off after 5 minutes of playing.
    Aha. Not what I'd call a charmed life for a pick, then.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

16. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

They look good, but seem to be too heavy for my purposes. I'm on Clayton Ultem triangles 0.56 and happy with them - I have found how long I can play each corner before the pick breaks in the middle, so there's many a session (there has been many a session, I should say) where I left my pick on the table at the end of the session and the end of its life.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

They are OK but they tend to live in the case more than get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Haven't tried any of their casein picks but did get one of their vespel (same material Blue Chips are made of) picks and the tip broke off after 5 minutes of playing. They replaced it, but I prefer Blue Chips meself.
    I have a feeling that there are different formulae of these plastics. I also wonder about the difference between Vespel and Meldin. This page on a plastics supplier mentions that Meldin as a new option of similar Vespel but at a lower (!) cost than Vespel. Last time I checked a 12" X 12" sheet was about $1300. I am not sure exactly what formula BC uses but I have at least a half dozen of their picks and never have broken a point on any playing mandolin or heavy (pounding) rhythm guitar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Blue Chip's patent on polyimide (such as Vespel or Meldin) picks was granted last year. So, at least in the US, anyone else selling picks made of those materials had to stop. That explains older references to "brown" picks by CL, but no reference to them on their site currently.
    Do you have a link to their patent? So they are the only ones who can make and sell any picks made of polyimide?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Do you have a link to their patent? So they are the only ones who can make and sell any picks made of polyimide?
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090249938A1/en

Yes, this means that BC has exclusive rights to use that material for picks. The adjusted expiration date of the Blue Chip patent is 10/25/2037, so they'll enjoy that exclusivity for about 17 years.

(I'm an engineer, not a patent attorney. I have no connection with BC other than being a happy customer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a feeling that there are different formulae of these plastics. I also wonder about the difference between Vespel and Meldin. This page on a plastics supplier mentions that Meldin as a new option of similar Vespel but at a lower (!) cost than Vespel. Last time I checked a 12" X 12" sheet was about $1300. I am not sure exactly what formula BC uses but I have at least a half dozen of their picks and never have broken a point on any playing mandolin or heavy (pounding) rhythm guitar.
    Charmed Life offered their "brown" picks much thinner than Blue Chip, which I think explains the fragility some experienced. They were not as nicely finished either, so possibly the CL manufacturing process left them more prone to breaking. I suspect the thickness was the primary culprit.

Given all the uses of Polyimide, it seems odd to me that you can obtain a patent for a specific use. But that’s our patent system...
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Given all the uses of Polyimide, it seems odd to me that you can obtain a patent for a specific use. But that’s our patent system...
    I would guess the material can be used for other things, just not picks.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!