Thread: '50s Stradolin: solid or laminate?

Default '50s Stradolin: solid or laminate?

Hey mandolin people! I'm hoping this forum is friendlier than the bass guitar one. Haha. I mean it just seems like mandolin players would be friendlier. Let's test it out!

I was searching the other Stradolin threads but got overwhelmed. Can anyone tell me if all the '50s Strads are laminate top? I found one nearby me that looks to be in good shape. Any input is welcomed.

Stay safe out there!#

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...47723776265897

Default Re: '50s Stradolin: solid or laminate?

That looks to me -- with the matching pickguard and tailpiece cover, and with the figure below the name -- earlier than the 50s. Can't say for sure about laminate or not, as you find both, but I'd bet it's an excellent player and sounds great. (This, from someone who has four Stradolins.)

Great! I may make a masked, gloved trip over there. Thanks Jimmie.

Late 30's to 40's, tuners have been changed, I can almost guarantee it's solid. The fact that it has the matching tailpiece and pickguard makes it really desirable. If it was me and I bought it the first thing I'd change would be the tuners. It looks like it's going to need a nut.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Oh yeah. Good call. That nut looks like some squirrels confused it for an actual nut. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

7. The following members say thank you to Stomp Freeman for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Late 30's to 40's, tuners have been changed, I can almost guarantee it's solid. The fact that it has the matching tailpiece and pickguard makes it really desirable. If it was me and I bought it the first thing I'd change would be the tuners. It looks like it's going to need a nut.
    I have owned four of these with BLACK PAINTED BACK AND SIDES and ALL of these have had LAMINATED BACK AND SIDES with SOLID TOPS. The tuners had straight slot screws holding the gears on, so I'd agree with late 30's. ALL OF THEM HAD THAT SAME THREE STRIPED EMBLEM ON THE HEADSTOCK. All sounded fairly good but one day, all of a sudden one of them started coming apart in layers.

Here are pictures of the only Orpheum branded Stradolin with those "Black Back & Sides" (the other three were Stradolins). Photos are from Group Strad-O-Lin Mandolins. You have to join Group "Strad-O-Lin Mandolins" to view this link but Hey it's free & well worth the look.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...ictures&page=6 view the photos "added by your_diamond"

Worth mentioning: The Orpheum is the only one of the four with "Black Back & Sides" that I owned, that had rivets holding the tuner gears on. Which indicate these also date to the early 40's.

I still have one of the laminated "Black Back & Sides" Stradolins with 30's tuners (straight slot screws) no tailpiece cover. Pictures to follow.

Here are a few pics if you don't want to join the Stra-do-lin Mandolin social group... but you're really missing out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o10.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	185238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o8.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	185239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	185240  

Folowing the link provided by the original poster... photo #3 out of five, seems to show a laminated top, if you look at the exposed edge in the segmented sound hole.

With it in hand you'd know in a moment.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Great info! Thanks for the responses. Turns out the mandolin forum is definitely friendlier than the bass forums. Haha.

We're all friends here! let us know if you buy it. My strad is solid woods but they come all ways.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305