Thread: paddy on the turnpike

Default paddy on the turnpike

I'm trying to learn paddy on the turnpike i love the Katy Adelson version can anyone tell me what metronome setting shes playing it at i cant seem to get mine set to it thanks in advance... Emery P.S just type in her name and paddy on the turnpike if you don't mind thanks

2. The following members say thank you to wag1943 for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: paddy on the turnpike

Wow. I googled and I am glad I did. She is pretty darn good. And she is playing the version that I like.

She is playing at a pretty good clip, I am getting something like 200 to 220 as I attempt to tap along with her.

What is a tarbuka doing in an Irish Trad tune? I did have to google that word too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

She has a nice tutorial on the tune on her youtube channel, too. Camera angle shows left hand fingerings very clearly so you can relate them to mandolin. Thanks for introducing me to her videos!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

She is playing around 216bpm I think. If your metronome, like mine, does not go that high, try setting it at 108 and seeing if the beat matches every other beat.

Barry

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Wow. I googled and I am glad I did. She is pretty darn good. And she is playing the version that I like.

She is playing at a pretty good clip, I am getting something like 200 to 220 as I attempt to tap along with her.
    Reels in Irish trad are usually written in 4/4 but counted as 2/2 for tempo/metronome beats (too long a discussion to get into), which means she's playing at around 107 bpm, pretty standard tempo for a reel.

What is a tarbuka doing in an Irish Trad tune? I did have to google that word too.
    Tommy's Tarbukas was written by Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser, something of a "party tune" in Irish session lingo, meaning a show-off tune. In this case a tune in G minor. Some discussion about the origins here:

https://thesession.org/tunes/140

For an absolutely mind-blowing, virtuoso adaptation of "Paddy on the Turnpike", listen to the version developed by the late, great Vassar Clements, who called his version "Avalanche."
    available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZoDbo-OMqI

I started trying to learn this as well, I must say I am not that crazy about the Monroe version, even though it is very popular in Bluegrass (where they play it very very fast).

Sam Bush's version is probably the best one so far.

I first heard it back in college on a Clark Kessinger recording, I also like the Ostroushko version from "Mandolin Chronicles" which comes across as "crooked".

I like the Katy Adelson version but I probably want to go a little less Irish.

I thought the Mandolin Martin YouTube was a good mix between the Monroe and more traditional versions, though I am going with a c# in bar 4 which is closer to Ostroushko's.

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Great tutorial/lesson on that tune from Mike Compton here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-aIbF6kVV4

11. The following members say thank you to Zmando85 for this post:

saw that, Compton is hard core Monroe, which I think am leaning away from.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

thanks to everyone for posting. I like the Katy Adelson version best, so far, but then I'm more partial to the Irish version rather than bluegrass (plus, grandma was from County Cork). Will added it to the tunes I'd like to learn.