Thread: Mandos on the wall

Default Mandos on the wall

I have a music recording studio in my house. I kept finding instruments and cases cluttering up the room. Soon after going to Carter's Vintage one day, I got the idea of putting Hercules music holdiers on the wall and putting my babies in general view. Not only did it make the office look better, I found myself playing different I instruments more. My Mowry and Nyberg care getting more play. Some unintended consequences can be good.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

===========

Default Re: Mandos on the wall

Speaking from experience - just be careful that you maintain good humidity levels in the room . . . in just one evening, I nearly lost 4 top-notch instruments.

3. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

The trouble with hanging them in a studio could be that their strings are likely to sound in sympathy with whatever is being played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    The trouble with hanging them in a studio could be that their strings are likely to sound in sympathy with whatever is being played.
    Isn’t that why music store instrument rooms sound so lively?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I'm a "always in case when not being played" kinda person, but I'm sensitive to the appeal of instruments as decor, and their ready accessibility. I would, however, point out that it's more of a challenge properly regulate humidity and temperature in all rooms of an entire house, than it is in the restricted environment of a case (or gig bag, if it's well enough constructed, for that matter). Accidents happen in the best of all possible worlds, and that's one area where your risk's reduced if your mandolins are encased.

But, to each his/her own. Just be careful, right? It's a jungle in there...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Isn’t that why music store instrument rooms sound so lively?
    Sorry to sidetrack, but I DO miss the mandolin room at Mandolin Brothers, on Staten Island. Play one instrument, and 90 (or did it just seem like 190?) answer back. Just thrilling!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thank you for the responses. The instruments are on the wall of the office that houses the recording equipment, the computers, the monitors, desks and a window to the recording area. This is were my office and the tracking engineer work.
    I appreciate the concern over potential damage due to temperature fluctuations. I moniter that closely.

If humidity isn't an issue in your geography, go for it.
    In a past life, I always had one hanging, now that I'm living in a Sub Tropical Sahara Desert climate, and I'm down to one Mando...in the case it goes, with in case humidifier, along with Dampit.

Yes it would depend on the climate.

My area is safely humidified, so all the instruments are on the wall. Besides the beautiful decor and the ease of access, I like the instruments to air out so they don't have the chemical smells of the various cases.

I find having a readily available instrument selection on my studio wall motivates me to “grab” and “play”. Otherwise wouldn’t not them out of my cupboard, then out of their cases and play them. When they are an arm length or a step away I tend to make use of their availability. I am an empty nester and don’t have to worry about any mishaps. I use the Hercules wall mounts and stands which do have added physical security in their design.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I find having a readily available instrument selection on my studio wall motivates me to “grab” and “play”. When they are an arm length or a step away I tend to make use of their availability.
    My feelings exactly, except on stands instead of wall (our "wall" is a bank of windows, so no room to hang there). For me, out of sight is sometimes out of mind.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I wanted to hang a guitar on the wall, so I got a $3 rake hook from the hardware store. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I wanted to hang a guitar on the wall, so I got a $3 rake hook from the hardware store. Works great.
    I too looked at lawn tool hooks at the hardware store, but my worry was that the material on the hook might damage an instrument’s finish. I’ll never forget the damage on the neck of a Martin D40 at a local music store, caused by material in an instrument hanger. Since then I’ll only buy reputable hangers (I trust String Swing and Hercules).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles