Thread: Finale instrument options for "mandolin" sound

Default Finale instrument options for "mandolin" sound

I am writing a lot of music while sitting at home these days, but I am completely dissatisfied with the actual sound palette in my Finale program. Writing for mandolin orchestra I have tried strings, plucked strings, mandolin (obviously), harp, and lots of others. I usually do a piano reduction just so I can hear all the lines clearly, but I can't get a good "mandolin" sound. I know there are other programs/software options, Sibelius and so on. But all this stuff is in Finale files. I am a retired choral director and theory teacher, so I have years of work and experience with this program. The mandolin thing is relatively new, and I will probably stay with the software I am used to.
    So I am asking if anybody out there has had luck with this? A good mandolin-like setting for instrumentation on Finale?

jim

Default Re: Finale instrument options for "mandolin" sound

What version of Finale do you have? I think starting in 2012 they were going to have the "Garritan instruments" version sound for mandolin, which I think is a sort of pre-recorded sound that sounds more natural; I have 2011, and the default mandolin sound is a horrible midi. I usually use the Garritan plucked steel guitar as the closest I can get to the mandolin. If you have a version prior to 2012 it might be worth reading up on if they actually got a new mandolin sound. If you are later than 2012, then my post is probably useless.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

I am not sure about year I installed the software, but I have upgraded it within the past year or so-- probably. And I do have Garratin options, I think I tried that but on your good advice I will try again. Your post is not wasted!
    thanks,
    jim

Blog Entries

Garratin may not be selected in Midi / Audio. Select from the drop down menu 'play thru VST'. Sometimes the Midi option is selected and it sounds horrible. And I think that happens because I was working with an older file.
    Hope this helps.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I don't see a VST option; I have Play through Audio Units (?) or Play through MIDI. If I select Audio Units I don't hear anything.
    I do have Garratin options, keep trying them but as you say, bad sound. I upgraded and that did not change things much as far as actual tone quality--still no VST option. For now, closest i can get to plucked string sound is "elec guitar clean."
    Thanks, I will keep trying.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have the Garratin instruments, are you looking in the right place for the mandolin sound? In the pull-down menu under "device" (in the ScoreManager - command-K), you might have chosen options from the "Plucked String" category. But why should mandolin be there? Seems they've put mandolin under "World". . . . I'm not the one to ask since I don't usually bother with MIDI orchestration; to me it's not close enough to bother with anyway. But I know for the persistent, there are much more realistic sounds available. There is a Garratin help group over on the MakeMusic community site.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Thanks August; yes I looked several places--device, orchestral, plucked, world... and found different options marked "mandolin," but not a good sound. I just want to hear what I wrote with as closer to a mandolin sound as I can find. I would like to send the score and mp3 to people for their opinions but I don't want to send a bad sound.