Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like Flatiron's back

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I think that you guys who are speaking of the whole x-braced, OAI against it thing should do some research on this message board and you would see that BigJoe has always liked the x-braced mandos and wanted to build one at Gibson. He even said that he and Charlie didn't agree on x-braced mandos. I am always happy to see a new product and I think I am going to have to go down to the Showcase to play one of these Flatirons.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

And I was just saying to the wife...we need to head down Louisville way soon.....awww...such timing.

That's cool they are bringing them back. I almost bought one as my first. The few I played were some nice mandolins.

WBL

Oval holes??? Blondes??? X braces??? What will we think of next! Just keep a bit patient. You may be greatly overjoyed. Flatiron is not our only product, by the way. Oh, for those that asked. The Flatiron line is ALL American made...right in Nashville...right at Opry Mills.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

This all sounds great to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what Big Joe and his co-workers are going to introduce. This could be an interesting couple of months.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

A new line of mandolins sounds good to me, too. It's too bad Gibson didn't think to use Flatiron like they used Epiphone in the 60s - as a line of good instruments for non-Gibson dealers to carry. I probably won't see one too soon - not that it would keep me from wanting one.

FISH....And I thought I was good at luring fish in....Watch out for that Gibson lure.....Why would they put the same axpertise into a mando and sell it cheaper? If it looks loke an F-9 why isn`t it sold as an F-9???I`m glad I have all and what I need....Willie

Willie,
    That's a Lloyd Lure - sorry that joke smells fishy!
    Jim

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Big Joe, Since the new Flatirons will be priced lower than the Gibson line I think you folks should sell them at places like Guitar Center and make them availible to the many folks who can afford them. Also you could sell them at the local guitar stores in neighborhoods all over America. It would be just like the Flatiron of the old days!!!! A great mandolin for not a ton of cash. I think you would sell a ton of them. Nick....the real mandocat!
    ntriesch

Hey Nick, Do you suppose we can get some sort of travel allowance to go test these new Flatirons for ourselves? I sure don't like buying something sight-unseen; 48 hours is not enough time to test drive a mandolin, either! Maybe Gibson will offer an air shuttle service for us folks who live nowhere near an authorized dealer.

Man, I can't wait to see what Gibson has up their sleeve. I wonder what this will do the value of Montana-made Flatirons. Hey Big Joe,...oh wait....I was going to ask if there will be a new Flatiron Army-Navy model but you probably cannot reveal details like that yet...Ok...I will wait. Like many, I kind of want an oval hole F or A model. I think a Gibson A-9 with an oval hole would be really cool. Would that be an A-4?

Bummer Ken you live so far away. I guess I'm lucky. I only live 650 miles away from my nearest Gibson dealer! Let's see, I do own a tent trailer. Hey Ken, I will alway have a soft spot for Flatiron because It was my very first mando. I bougfht one of those cool little flat mandolins for $300 in 1979. It was blond with birdseye maple and sounded really cool. Then later I had a cool F5 Artist (Weber signed) for about 6 years. I really like Flatiron. Just wish I could play one when they arrive!! Nick
    ntriesch

[QUOTE]I think that you guys who are speaking of the whole x-braced, OAI against it thing should do some research on this message board and you would see that BigJoe has always liked the x-braced mandos and wanted to build one at Gibson.

I was referring to Charlie when I mentioned former OAI leadership. I'm glad to see the line coming back. Over the years, the Flatiron name has been associated with great quality and value.

Ok. Here goes. I'm trying to make your dreams come true. I have 3 Flatirons in stock. One is an oval hole A model. One is an oval hole F model The other is an A model with F holes. They are all blonde and soung GREAT! I don't have the price yet, but will post it as soon as I get it firmed up. It is a great product at a great price! I don't try to sell on this forum, but you can reach me at 615-533-6830 or the store at 615-514-22-- x 3006. They won't last long!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Aug. 24 2005, 13:05)
    One is an oval hole F model
    !!!Gasp!!!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Now I'm gonna make your day. The F model Oval hole list is $2495.00 and the A model Oval hole or F hole is $1695.00. You will love these! Price is right and the tone is right. What more could one want!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Any photos?
    Daryl

Blog Entries

Wow. Great news Joe. Can't wait to see photos and hear reviews.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

How is it different, other than the X bracing, from an A-9?

Bang! Pulled the trigger on the F Oval, having the Baggs installed. Thanks, Big Joe

You da' man, Joe!!

I wonder what Charlie D thinks about all this? I know he is very traditional in his thinking. But it just seems like a great idea bringing back Flatiron. I wonder if part of all this is why Charlie left the mandolin dept.? Anyway, I do wish Gibson would wise up and sell Flatiron in music stores like most big makers do. Flatirons priced right should be sold where everyone can try them . Nick
    ntriesch

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Aug. 24 2005, 16:21)
    ...What more could one want!
    Uh...fair and reasonable marketing practices? A willingness to live side by side with the competition? An understanding that filing lawsuits against your best distributors is not a very nice thing to do?

Nah. These things are, well, obviously just too much to expect of a Great Company like Gibson.

Flatiron Schmatiron. Who cares? Not me.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Richard J.

I guess we could all be armchair marketing guys, but at this price point, it's good business. Right now you've got Eastman atop things in the far east producers with their prices under the "flats", and Bruce Weber's instruments that had been in the same range but have gone up as their reqested discount from list for their dealers was cut in half and they seem to put out more upgraded models. And maybe, just maybe, they're trying to make things up from big $$ losses of the high end standards. I think the pricing in these economic times will give them back some of this cash flow. But what do I know-I'm an electrician (who plays acoustic).
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (johnsmusic @ Aug. 24 2005, 14:25)
    Bang! Pulled the trigger on the F Oval, having the Baggs installed. Thanks, Big Joe
    Thanks, man. You probably saved my marriage by snagging that before I could get home and start begging...
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Makes me wonder if Eastman and others are getting in to Gibson's lower end pocket book??

Don't let that market get away!!!!

Tim
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."