Thread: Inside the scroll

Default Inside the scroll

Hi everyone, I've almost finished carving and graduating my 2 builds(A5 and F5). I've seen some builders on YT videos, carve a small channel on the inside of the scroll on the back and top. Is there any point to this? It doesn't seem to me that it would do anything other that reduce the weight, very minimally. What are your thoughts on this?
    thanks in advance, Mike.

Default Re: Inside the scroll

I think that came from the Siminoff book.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    ...It doesn't seem to me that it would do anything other that reduce the weight, very minimally. What are your thoughts on this?
    That's really all it does and I do it for that reason. A few grams here, a few grams there and we have a lighter instrument, and thus perhaps a more responsive instrument. (Of course, it saves more weight to leave the scroll off completely, but if that thing is going to be sticking up there in the way anyhow, it might as well be as light as practical, IMO.)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I've got a little more carving to do. It will be interesting to see exactly how much the shavings weigh that I take off. If I remember, I'll save them. Cheers Mike

My 1904 F-3 has fairly large chamber in the scroll, as well as a hollow all the way up the neck, under the finger board. When I asked my father, a surgeon and violinist. about it, he said that even a small sinus that is full or obstructed can make a significant change in the sound of your voice.
    George

6. The following members say thank you to George Roberts for this post: