Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOT an essential service?!

Default Re: NOT an essential service?!

In CA non-essential businesses are closed to walk-in customers and curbside pickup. But UPS, FedEx, US mail, UPS Store, FedEx/Kinkos are still open. No state to my knowledge has ended online commerce. Before I bought an instrument i would contact the store to make sure they have the ability to get it shipped.
    Last edited by sgarrity; Apr-04-2020 at 12:18pm.

2. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

If it's not categorized as essential it's closed in New Jersey. They don't want people together unless they have to be. I know it's hard for people to understand that other states are not like their own. A retailer, even if a mail order company would be non-essential if they were not on the essential list.

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-infor...ail-businesses
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

“Delivery and online operations of retail businesses may continue.” that quote is directly from your link Mike. My point isn’t to argue here. It’s to show that the world hasn’t ended. We can still support each other and our favorite music stores. Just contact them first to make sure they have the ability to ship what you want.

6. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Thanks for the help, Shaun and Mike. I'll reach out to some stores.

If anyone has played some of these I'd certainly be interested in feedback.

8. The following members say thank you to carlsonp for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlsonp View Post
    Hi All:

I resonated with the thoughts of the OP. It's a very, very small issue in the scheme of things, to be sure, but I also took in my mandolin on March 16 for some fretwork. It's a Northfield Artist, 5 bar model with lots of punch, volume, and a gorgeous tone. It certainly hung with the high end instruments I've sampled at Carters and elsewhere. That said, many frets were worn to the point of not being able to intonate correctly anymore (I've had it for 4 years and now use a much lighter touch, although when learning new pieces and riffs, I find I still press down far too hard).

The music shop I took it to was kind enough to give me a loner instrument, a Kentucky 850. I think it was hanging in their shop for many, many years. After changing the dead strings and adjusting the bridge, the tone is certainly decent, but it still has awful intonation. I'd love to apply Rob's set up tricks to it, but don't want to do that that a 'new' instrument that isn't mine. For me, anyway, the small (and unlevel) fret wire on this instrument certainly makes it more difficult to play beautifully. I'm playing it 2-4 hours/day and have been very grateful to have an instrument at this time.

All that said, with my NF unavailable for likely at least another month, I confess to shopping the classifieds for a really nice A instrument, preferably used, especially in the Girouard/Pava line, as it really seems they've excellent value in that $2-3k range. If it's a long-term keeper, great. If not, I'd be OK with that too. If the mando market tanks, as I expect it to with the economic fallout to come, I'm fine with that loss in value as the price of having really nice instrument during this time and beyond.

Have you played any of the Pava or Girouard A's at Sylvan, Br1ck (I'm not certain if they can ship right now)? Anyone else sampled these makes from TMS, The Music Emporium of elsewhere? I'd certainly consider other makes too if they could be shipped. Again, used would be preferred, although I'd consider new as well. I don't have a specific required voicing for this purchase - more modern vs traditional, midrangy vs stronger bottom, etc. - but want it to have 'it'..... you know, where a light touch still gives volume, of how you can 'feel' the air puff out the F holes on a chop chord. Looking F holes only and instruments that could actually be shipped right now. I'd love to hear suggestions.

I don't ever really post, but I'm deeply appreciative of this community, now more than ever.

Peter
    I have played both. I have quit commenting on Girouard mandolins. I have played a few Pava and they all have a wonderful clarity, nice resonance and I’d be happy to own one. Collings is a brighter tone, and my friend who ownes Pava #1 has but one complaint, that it could have a more present high end. He plays out a lot and loves my Arches for its loudness and punch. The first thought I had when I first played his Pava? I want one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Most Californians have been practicing social distancing and wearing gloves (and even masks) for at least a month now in grocery stores, banks, post office and what not. We’ve all been urged however to get out and excercise by walking or biking, working in your garden, cleaning your garage, etc. so long as it conforms to the standards in place. In other words, you can’t just lock yourself in your home 24/7 and practically speaking, authorities don’t expect that. It’s simply not sustainable or healthy since we have no idea how long this will go on. There ARE safe ways of carrying on with life normally and still bend the curve on the infection rate. Thus far I think California has some success in doing just that and Shaun is correct, the world is not coming to an end. We have a number of restaurants, shops, grocery chains, that have entirely shifted their business model in 3-4 weeks and with services like instaCart etc., that deliver to your doorstep without contact, there are plenty of options.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Will be purchasing another once those sales are completed.
    Whatcha eyeing, Shaun?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/153034#153034
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

14. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

In CA non-essential businesses are closed to walk-in customers and curbside pickup. But UPS, FedEx, US mail, UPS Store, FedEx/Kinkos are still open. No state to my knowledge has ended online commerce. Before I bought an instrument i would contact the store to make sure they have the ability to get it shipped.
    Yup. I just wouldn't ask my luthier to go to his shop or to the UPS joint. It's not essential travel, and the governor has only allowed essential travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If it's not categorized as essential it's closed in New Jersey. They don't want people together unless they have to be. I know it's hard for people to understand that other states are not like their own. A retailer, even if a mail order company would be non-essential if they were not on the essential list.

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-infor...ail-businesses
    Yep! What I'm sayin'!

- - - Updated - - -

“Delivery and online operations of retail businesses may continue.” . . ..
    Maybe in California. Not in Maine (diagonally opposite San Diego).

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I have played both. I have quit commenting on Girouard mandolins. I have played a few Pava and they all have a wonderful clarity, nice resonance and I’d be happy to own one. Collings is a brighter tone, and my friend who ownes Pava #1 has but one complaint, that it could have a more present high end. He plays out a lot and loves my Arches for its loudness and punch. The first thought I had when I first played his Pava? I want one.
    Well, I have a satin Pava en route, shipping today. Was able to be played a few examples over the phone: could at least listen for balance across the stings and up and neck, if not exactly a reliable indication of tone. Thanks for the thoughts, Br1ck and others.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlsonp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Mayyyyyyybeeeeeee..... I’ve got a line on another one. Just gotta wait until these sales wrap up. Finally played one a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with the tone. Looking forward to having one to play around on while we’re all hunkered down

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

We all are experiencing frustration, confusion, and inconvenience over social distancing. We all handle it in different ways. Sure, it's no fun -- even being able to play instruments, go online, watch tv, mow the yard, walk the dog, etc. -- still feels like we are being restricted -- and, we are until this thing blows over...

As of Friday @5pm Mississippi joined the rest of the country with a "shelter in place" law enacted. One "advantage" of being in the poorest state is that nobody has anywhere to go, anyway, and always stay home....so, there's that. A self-quarantine imposed by poverty. But, bills still need to get paid somehow.....

FWIW, and to put it into perspective, from a personal viewpoint -- a few weeks ago, I was concerned that Mom, who is 87, would be among the most vulnerable. Well, as it turns out, she got a bad report from her cancer screening. As a 35-year cancer survivor with a couple concerns in the last 2 years, we were braced for it, but, we're talking about Mom, so.....it hurts. She is a great lady with a great attitude concerning this. She just smiled and told me she has been wanting to "see" Dad for 13 years, anyway.............my point being, there are many other things going on besides coronavirus and all the coverage it is getting.

I am lucky to work for myself, such as it is -- not a lot of money, but a lot of freedom. I had a $650 eBay sale last night, but the customer didn't like the shipping cost, so he cancelled the order.......needless to say, the sale would have helped, but life goes on. I also do repair work and am blessed to have plenty of work. I'm not sure how to "legally" deliver the completed work and get paid with the "shelter in place." The guidelines say I can leave if my house becomes unsafe, or to see a doctor or to get food, so I think I can work with that......."my front porch step is loose, so I put my doctor's guitar in my car and on the way I went through the drive-thru at Taco Bell" I hope that doesn't sound unpatriotic......just trying to make a living.

As I mentioned on previous threads, turning off the tv helps, or at least picking a channel like TCM, HGTV, History, Discover, etc....usually NPR is my go-to station, but lately it is 99% coronavirus coverage, so I turn it off. Again, thank goodness I can work at home, play music, go online, etc.

Not trying to offend, just one guy's opinion.

Big thank you to Mandolin Cafe, as always!

21. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    . . . "my front porch step is loose, so I put my doctor's guitar in my car and on the way I went through the drive-thru at Taco Bell" . . ..
    I think you've got all the bases covered.

Here in Maine, the governor just declared gun stores essential services. I don't think that word means what the governor thinks it means, but you can always throw that in, too: ". . . and I need more ammo because my house is about to be invaded by crazed toilet paper marauders."

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Here in Maine, the governor just declared gun stores essential services. I don't think that word means what the governor thinks it means, but you can always throw that in, too: ". . . and I need more ammo because my house is about to be invaded by crazed toilet paper marauders."
    It is a similar situation in Mississippi. Some of the biggest gun stores are pawn shops and the pawn shops are controlled by the state banking commission and considered essential services and therefore open. So while you are picking up some "essentials" you can also browse the used instrument selection.........

24. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    ...Here in Maine, the governor just declared gun stores essential services...
    That was done at the Federal level, all states had to follow.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

26. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    That was done at the Federal level, all states had to follow.
    It was done on both state and federal levels: Gun shops reopen

The feds have guidelines, the states run the local show. Hence NY and CA are being sued by some folks.

Now back to our main concern, buying instruments and accessories.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

29. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    The feds have guidelines, the states run the local show. Hence NY and CA are being sued by some folks.

Now back to our main concern, buying instruments and accessories.
    Yeah! How come guns are essential but mandos aren't? Whats the dif? They're both loud, annoying, expensive, and dangerous in the wrong hands.

I mean sheesh. Fair's fair.