Thread: Hello, first time player here

Default Hello, first time player here

There isnt a formal introduction thread (that I saw), so I figured I would introduce myself briefly, and explain why I am here.
    My name is Bill, I live in MA (in the US), am JUST shy of 50, work as a 911 dispatcher. I have some musical experience, being a bagpiper, which I started playing in 2007, and have not played for a couple years now.
    I decided that, during the current climate, it would be a good time to learn something new. Having a near lifelong passion for Celtic music, I decided I wanted to learn mandolin. I was torn between mandolin and banjo, and, to be honest, my work environment drove my decision. I can easily transport a mandolin, and, as I work alone, but in the same building that my FD sleeps in, the mando is a more mellow tone . Having limited music reading ability (I can read bagpipe sheet music, but learn better from ear), I am going to try to learn the tableture system (possibly wrong terminology).
    Also, I am left handed, which, although in bagpipes, this is irrelevant (I went into that with ZERO musical ability, and my instructor asked me if I wanted to play lefty-I told him I had no idea what I was doing, so whatever was easiest for him-so I play the normal way), it was hard to find an affordable mando that is left handed. I ended up finding a Gold Tone GM50 for a couple hundred, which, after reading several reviews, I was OK parting with.
    I look forward to this journey. Having plenty of down time at work to play will make practicing easier. Having the disciplinary practice from playing the pipes, I can easily work a 20 minute session in practicing one chord, or whatever (lord knows I have countless hours doing single embellishments-they even have entire books dedicated to those in the piping world).
    My ultimate goal, of course, is to play for others. But, the mando is something that I can play alone, or in a close, small group, where I dont have to, pardon the pun, blow the windows out playing the pipes.
    So, thats my story. I look forward to gleaning knowledge from wherever I can, and this forum seems to be the premier source for online information.

And, as to my online moniker-way, way back, when emails first started, I was 29 or so, and still in the infantry in the Army. I was considered an old man in my profession at that point. As to the 181, that was my regiment I was assigned to

Default Re: Hello, first time player here

Hello, oldsoldier181. Welcome to the club.

I would suggest learning to read standard musical notation first, rather than tablature. It will open up all kinds of playing opportunities for you. You can find sheet music for Celtic, American folk, jazz, blues and every era of classical music in standard notation If you really are curious about tablature, you can try it later.

Good luck with it!

3. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Welcome from MA. Your in the right place. I think if you managed the Bag pipes you can manage a mandolin. I think, and I could be wrong, that if your not locked in to left handed you might try playing right handed as many do. That would expand your options for mandolins for ever.

Welcome to the cafe!

If you have a yearning for Celtic music and want to learn by ear check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...A-Week-Project

Many catchy tunes played at a nice tempo, good videos to learn from IMHO...enjoy!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

6. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Welcome! It is certainly a good time to learn an instrument or get better at one if you already play.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Brighton on the sunny south coast of the UK

Hi there. You have plenty of downtime in your job? Will that change once Covid-19 gets out of first gear?

I've never been a fan of doing half a job - I'll either do it completely or not at all. In that spirit I'd strongly recommend NOT learning tab, but learning to read proper music notation; it'll serve you so much better in the long run. Its a standard system for a start, whereas everybody and their dogs have their own ideas of how tab is written. Coursera have a couple of free courses that'll take you a long way. And suddenly we've all got plenty of time to learn...

And i'm an old soldier too. 9th Independent Parachute Squadron, Royal Engineers - that's the British Army of course... but I'm going back to a time when my legs came in short pants and not my breath!

Being a folk instrument, perfectly acceptable to learn to play by ear.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Welcome to the Cafe!
    Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store has a selection of left handed mandolins and his shop is highly regarded here...

https://themandolinstore.com/product...and-mandolins/

The 300 series Eastman mandolins are a good bang for the buck.

Good luck with your journey!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Being a piper, you may already be aware of www.thesession.org, but if not, they maintain a great repository of Celtic tunes with both the dots and ABC notation. Another great resource is Baron Collins-Hill's website, www.mandolessons.com, with free lesson videos on technique and on a long list of actual tunes. He's a member here, too, so you know he keeps good company.

Welcome to the cafe.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thank you all!! To address some questions:
    I am working on standard notation, which, come to find out, isnt as difficult as I originally anticipated. I still have a learning curve, but, once I can put the written note with what I hear, that seems to help. Seems to me, reading music is a lifetime learning thing. Or, it could be me
    Sadly, I considered playing "normal", and it felt uncomfortable to me. Had I started off learning this, I likely could have done that. But, I didnt. I found a left handed mandolin (Gold Tone), which came set up, and has a good sound to it. Finding lefty instruments is difficult though-that was the only affordable one I could find.
    I do have down time in this job, yes. I work the overnights, and it is a relatively small town. Sure, there are nights where I am busy, but, more often than not, I do have down time. Even with this current pandemic (oddly, we, nor any other departments I am aware of locally, have had an uptick. Most people are self admitting to hospitals). My first division was with the 9th Infantry Division here in the states. I had the opportunity to work with several different British units over the years. In fact, my first experience was was with the Territorial Guard during the 80s, and they had a bagpiper-that kinda kicked off my love (and sometimes hate) for that instrument!!
    I wish I would have checked that out beforehand. I ended up with the Gold Tone GM 50, which has a nice mellow sound, and came all set up.
    Yes, I have been a followe over there for some years now!!! The Session is where I started to consider instruments outside the pipes-kitchen pipes, tin whistle, etc. I do follow mandolessons as well-first video to pop up when I googled how to play