Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelter-in-place (NMC)

Default Shelter-in-place (NMC)

The governor is going to implement a shelter-in-place edict, effective Friday.

Well, I'm a couple of weeks short of 76 and have diabetes so that puts me in the high-risk category. I was already taking precautions but it looks like I'm gonna have some more spare time. So, what am I gonna do? I made a list of things:

1. Write the great American novel (not likely)
    2. Practice on the mandolin (certainly but I won't be fanatical about it)
    3. Spring clean the house (not a snowball's chance in hell)
    4. Write a top 10 musical hit (I would if I could. See #1)
    5. Wash the car (probably)
    6. Wax the car (See #1)
    7. Yell at Judge Judy (probably)
    8. Stare at Judge Milian (probably)
    9. Nap (Won't dignify that with a comment)
    10. Sleep late (See #9)

I'm open to other suggestions.

David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Shelter-in-place (NMC)

Stock up on flour. That way you can bake bread. Flour is in short supply here.
    Stock up on eggs.
    Stock up on your favorite libation.
    Make sure you have extra strings.
    Don't forget cookies. Cookies are important.

As this washes over your area, don't count on being able to get every day things.
    Do whatever you can to maintain relationships. I just had a two hour Zoom meeting with two other friends, trying to get Zoom to work with music. It has a very hard compression effect that makes a simple guitar/vocal performance close to unlistenable. Anyone with a better idea please chime in. This was the first time I interacted with more than one other in three weeks. We were trying to keep our open mic going. The interaction was uplifting.

Do what you can to preserve your mental health. Don't watch TV news all day. Reread your favorite books.
    Get a dog.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Stock up on flour. That way you can bake bread. Flour is in short supply here.
    Stock up on eggs.
    Stock up on your favorite libation.
    Make sure you have extra strings.
    Don't forget cookies. Cookies are important.

As this washes over your area, don't count on being able to get every day things.
    Do whatever you can to maintain relationships. I just had a two hour Zoom meeting with two other friends, trying to get Zoom to work with music. It has a very hard compression effect that makes a simple guitar/vocal performance close to unlistenable. Anyone with a better idea please chime in. This was the first time I interacted with more than one other in three weeks. We were trying to keep our open mic going. The interaction was uplifting.

Do what you can to preserve your mental health. Don't watch TV news all day. Reread your favorite books.
    Get a dog.
    Oh, my God. You were serious!! I've already done all that stuff. I have eggs. I have plenty of flour for biscuits and gravy. (Sorry, folks, I live in South.) My "libation" is coffee. I have a Keurig and approximately 175 pods for my favorite coffee.

This is not a "lock-down" as much as it is stay away from everybody. I can go for groceries, meds, etc, but the eateries will be on down time, also. The band is not practicing. I'm not supposed to go around the neighbors (and in the case of one of them, that's not a bad thing). I'm still a little depressed because one neighbor who just happens to be a server at Hooters recently moved (but that's another thread).

I used to be married so I can handle anything. (That one's probably come back to bite me.)
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Oh, my God. You were serious!! I've already done all that stuff. I have eggs. I have plenty of flour for biscuits and gravy. (Sorry, folks, I live in South.) My "libation" is coffee. I have a Keurig and approximately 175 pods for my favorite coffee.

This is not a "lock-down" as much as it is stay away from everybody. I can go for groceries, meds, etc, but the eateries will be on down time, also. The band is not practicing. I'm not supposed to go around the neighbors (and in the case of one of them, that's not a bad thing). I'm still a little depressed because one neighbor who just happens to be a server at Hooters recently moved (but that's another thread).

I used to be married so I can handle anything. (That one's probably come back to bite me.)
    Once in a while I get serious. This is the time. We have but one tool to get a handle on this. Without the ability to test, it is each person's job to assume you are positive, just asymtomatic. Stores won't be as well stocked as you'd like. You won't want to go out anyway. Be safe, be sensible, and we'll get through this, but it won't be easy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

We’ve got a couple weeks of practice at this.

1. Practice
    2. Plant garden.
    3. Play tunes and songs with my wife.
    4. Learn more about the critters in the field and pond behind the house.
    5. Practice.
    6. Go for walks in the wildlife refuge with my wife to observe the birds, hummingbirds to eagles. We compete in spotting the birds
    7. Make more pizza.
    8. Practice
    9. Hug and kiss my wife.
    10. Practice.

Ymmv
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Apr-02-2020 at 12:35pm.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

===========

1. Check the internet for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    2. Write some new songs.
    3. Nap
    4. Watch DVD reruns of classic old TV shows (F-Troop, Lone Ranger, WKRP In Cincinnati, etc).
    5. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    6. Listen to my old vinyl albums.
    7. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    8. Ask my son to keep an eye on the internet for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    9. Re-write the lousy song that I wrote earlier in the day.
    10. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.

9. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    1. Check the internet for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    2. Write some new songs.
    3. Nap
    4. Watch DVD reruns of classic old TV shows (F-Troop, Lone Ranger, WKRP In Cincinnati, etc).
    5. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    6. Listen to my old vinyl albums.
    7. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    8. Ask my son to keep an eye on the internet for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    9. Re-write the lousy song that I wrote earlier in the day.
    10. Check the internet again for musical instruments that I don't need and can't afford.
    Oh, yeah! I make some additions to my list here at home.
    David Hopkins

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I read somewhere that sticking to a daily routine helps preserve mental health.
    I have also read that talking to pets, plants and inanimate objects is perfectly normal under the circumstances; when they start answering is when you should begin to worry.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

12. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Also, talking to yourself is OK, as long as you're answering appropriately...
    Chuck

I'm in Ireland and we were 2 weeks "social distancing" and now 1 week into lockdown. I have 3 kids and my wife works in a frontline service so I'm at home trying to make sure the 3 demons keep up school work, ensure there's food cooked and washing done. I have less time to practice mandolin now that when I was working. But..we're all safe and everyone seems in good mode tonight. I suggest not setting too high goals, find a new tune, listen to something different, bake some bread (so far it's the most satisfying feeling eating my own bread), call people you don't talk to regularly and tell family you love them. My general feeling is that people here (rural Ireland) are far more friendly now than a few months ago. Stay safe and see you at the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I read somewhere that sticking to a daily routine helps preserve mental health.
    I have long-since given up on that.
    David Hopkins

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Read a book
    Skype with your kids/grandkids
    Draw, sketch, or paint
    Walk in the woods
    DIY home projects
    Feed the birds
    Practice mandolin
    Write songs
    Watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island
    Living’ in the Mitten

I just realized something. I can't be infected with OVID-19. I have 219 rolls of toilet paper.

David Hopkins

===========

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I just realized something. I can't be infected with OVID-19. I have 219 rolls of toilet paper.
    If this quarantine thing lasts too much longer, David might be able to find a desperate mandolin player who will trade his F-5 for some of that TP stash.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Toilet paper acquisition syndrome?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Tomorrow will be three weeks in for me. I am playing more but not enough. Doing a lot of cooking and baking. Used my smoker for the first time today. Playing with my dog, drinking more wine than I should and reading a bunch.

I have had two weeks of working from home. I don't enjoy it.

Lots of reading, two walks a day, some practicing. I'm so glad my kids are grown. I can't imagine what it would have been like with three rowdy boys confined to quarters. Tough enough with a husband and some pets!

24. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Wash my car?

WAX wax car?

Just shoot me now.

26. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Was it not the dream expressed in so many BG songs to live on your own in some remote cabin, or hide in in some lonesome parlor where the sun don't never shine? Now is the time to live our dreams.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

28. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

1. Pick up the mandolin I'd been telling myself I would try and discover that I got what I paid for ($100 price point).
    2. Ignore the garden I need to start working on.
    3. Develop MAS.
    4. Ignore the yard work I need to do.
    5. Join Mandolin Cafe.
    6. Ignore rearranging my garage so I can start the garden (long story).
    7. Order a true entry-level mandolin that I can't afford and don't need.
    8. See something scary in the litter box; spend $450 at the vet to learn one of my cats has acid reflux.
    9. Wait for the mandolin.
    10. Go for a drive because I just can't stand it anymore. Pray I pass no curious cops.
    11. Wait for the mandolin.
    12. Assist my husband with all his crazy cooking projects that he's using to get through.
    13. Wait for the mandolin.
    14. Read a bunch of books I haven't read in a long time. With feline assistance.
    15. Wait for the mandolin....

Due to a bout of bronchitis and a history of respiratory problems, I've been in semi-quarantine since February 27th; working from home full-time since March 16th. It's nice to not have to face the loss of income type issues that many others do, so I'm trying not to complain too loudly, but I'll be glad to see something other than the inside of my house.

I'm also a writer and theoretically have been working on projects in that arena too. And I actually have managed about 1,000 words or so...which ain't much.

Drink coffee
    Listen to radio
    Play minecraft
    Practice
    Work in garden
    Cook
    Practice
    Work on mandolin kit
    Tai chi
    Think about making cloth masks
    Practice
    Drink wine and call friends
    Eastman 815 f
    Northfield Calhoun
    Saga kit campfire/travel mando
    Music Makers Dakota

===========

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    (laugh) This syndrome may be more of a pandemic than the actual virus . . .
    Last edited by MikeZito; Apr-05-2020 at 8:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Now we have time to make our own.

33. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

When I lived on a farm in Arkansas many years ago (and before we got full indoor plumbing), Montgomery Wards furnished our toilet paper. (Yes, I'm old.)

This brings to mind the fire we had in the bathroom. We put it out before it got to the house.
    David Hopkins

35. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Well, so far am not practicing nearly enough on the mandolin. In part because I've transitioned to telework, which was something I seriously opposed for myself. (Hey, it's a great method, I'm just not a person who likes sitting at home working.) These days am so tired after work it's tough to get motivated to go out for a walk, let alone practice an instrument. Hopefully will eventually get more into the swing of things.

As to doing other things? Well, finally ordered and plan to watch the Ken Burns Country music series. And I have a bunch of other DVDs sitting around. And hopefully will start getting out on the bicycle more. Have really backed off riding the last couple years as music took up too much free time.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723