Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelter-in-place (NMC)

Default Re: Shelter-in-place (NMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    Might I share this link with your friend then? It has literally hundreds of AA speaker tapes dating back at least 20 years if not more, from all over the country. Hours of free listening.

https://www.intoaction.org/speakers?page=1
    I'll pass it on. Thanx
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

2. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I am considered an "essential employee" (healthcare provider,) so work as usual for me every day. After work today, stopped at the grocery store and found they were out of TOOTHPASTE! Is that the newest thing to hoard that I have not heard of yet?!?!? Yikes!

Reminds me of a "60 Minutes" report from the 70's showing grocery stores in Russia with nothing on the shelves -- ours aren't quite that bad yet, but getting there, depending on what you are looking for.

I was thinking of comfort food and making a large rice cooker full of beans and rice with seasonings, but an entire 15 ft section where ALL the various rice brands are kept, floor to ceiling was EMPTY -- I mean, I can see ice cream being in demand, but beans and rice?!?!?!!!? This is a brand-new Kroger mega-store we are talking about........jeesh....

Anyway, it worked out, I found some Indian food in another section that I hadn't thought of, it's main appeal being that it was AVAILABLE (and I do like Indian food!) It, actually, was great, so a nice end to the story. Now, what am I going to eat tomorrow?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    out of TOOTHPASTE!
    I hear panic-buying is not triggered by what you need but by what people are panic-buying so it may not be available for the next 100 years. I must not forget to get shower gel while there still is some...

Seriously, I ordered a 50-pieces pack of my favourite mando pick a week ago
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Now, what am I going to eat tomorrow?
    I recommend doing what Arctic explorers did to prepare high energy food that will keep for a long time - make pemmican.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

The governor just announced the continuation of stay at home orders until 04-30-2020 so, I will continue to play solitaire, waste time watching movies. I have not finished the remodel project in my kitchen, with my wife working from home the sanding phase of what needs to be done next would not be pleasant. I could do some of the detail work with a paint brush but, I don’t feel like it! Happy that I got the new appliances in before things went nuts. Getting used to gas again has not taken me long at all, we have been eating pretty well. Now that Costco has TP stacked to the rafters, things are quieting down.
    I need a few parts for some hardware (tinkering with refitting the kitchen), rice(just getting low), and charcoal! I’m down to maybe 50 lb.
    Lots in the freezers, I should begin cleaning the garage but, it’s cooler than I want to work outside doing that project! Ok, new cup hooks, and little paintbrush trim work sounds like the next thing to get on!
    Mañana
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

===========

Normally, I would be THRILLED at the prospect of not having to go to work for a prolonged period of time (I am an intrinsically lazy person) - but right now I am very glad that I have an 'essential' job, simply because I am in the process of recording a new album, and my recording equipment is set up in an empty suite in the building where I work. No job would mean no recording - and that wouldn't make me happy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I am considered an "essential employee" (healthcare provider,) so work as usual for me every day. After work today, stopped at the grocery store and found they were out of TOOTHPASTE! Is that the newest thing to hoard that I have not heard of yet?!?!? Yikes!
    Hmm? Toothpaste? Just bought some yesterday and yes that's a new one. We have a local family owned store right in our neighborhood. Graul's. They own about a half dozen stores in the state of Maryland. They instituted limits some time ago on products. Six rolls of toilet paper (They now sell by the roll), three loaves of bread, etc. per customer. The larger stores haven't done that but other than a few times, no one I know has had trouble finding what they needed. I think my daughter had trouble with both toilet paper and bread but we found some for her and I dropped it off at my son-in-law's workplace. He sells auto parts at a Honda dealer so he's good as far as work goes.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Now, hand-sanitizer? The wife and I simply mixed alcohol (70%) and anti-bacterial dish washing soap in some empty eyeglass cleaner bottles we had. Does the job.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Ya can't make this stuff up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	184891

I hear they're looking for new people to lick the ends of the rolls so they'll stick.

Incidentally, it's a real company but they're sold out right now. Go figure.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

My mandolin is currently at the luthier shop, so I had to break my daily practice streak. Tried to pluck a tune or two on the missus' violin but let's just say it wasn't meant to be. They ought to put some frets on those things.

15. The following members say thank you to bokchoy_ninja for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Ya can't make this stuff up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	184891

I hear they're looking for new people to lick the ends of the rolls so they'll stick.

Incidentally, it's a real company but they're sold out right now. Go figure.
    Just for kicks my wife ordered some TP from Amazon about two or three months ago as local supplies were becoming impossible to get...

A couple of the orders have been delivered so far. They were directly in from China, having stopped in Hong Kong for a fairly lengthy inspection...

The rolls delivered in one order are super tiny compared to what we're used to getting locally, and another order came in as cut wipes, almost like Kleenex only smaller in size, also a tiny amount. Oh, and interestingly, both of these orders are made of bamboo paper.

From what I have read, we use a lot of TP compared to a lot of other societies, and these deliveries reflect that.

In the mean time our local grocery stores have TP now. If they are able to keep TP in stock, we're planning to give these imported TP as gag gifts to our local friends during the holidays.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

They're pushing TP out so fast now that you can probably still see the wood chips in it. Lest I become the butt of many jokes, I would wait until my supply bottoms out before I buy any. In the meantime, I'm just bumming around.
    David Hopkins

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

congrats! you discovered the cure…