Thread: Thank you, Eastman

Default Thank you, Eastman

On Saturday (three days ago) I unpacked a five year old Eastman mandola that I purchased used. Tuning it up, I noticed a problem with the bridge saddle intonation cuts. Saturday night I contacted Eastman via their website's "contact us" form, hoping they could help me find a replacement bridge or saddle to fit the existing bridge. I figured I may not hear back from them at all but at best it would be some weeks until someone responded.

This morning (Tuesday) there was a response waiting in my inbox when I checked my email. Basically saying there were some mandolas a few years ago that went out with incorrect saddle cuts; please send us name and address and we will mail you a new bridge.

Wow. I was fully prepared to either buy a bridge from Cumberland or maybe even try to carve a new saddle myself.

I am really impressed at the resolution of the problem, at the speed of the response, at the dedication to solve the problem given the current health crisis. Oh, and I do like the mandola, too!

Thank you, Eastman.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Thank you, Eastman

Good for Eastman. You may just be able to slip the new saddle onto the old base and save yourself from fitting the new bridge.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Cobalt 

Smile Re: Thank you, Eastman

That is absolutely brilliant service. Great to hear of a company not passing the buck to the retailer or anyone else. In this climate as well. Yes if the base is sitting perfectly at the minute, be great if your new top just goes on. In my box of mandolins spares I must have 30 tops, 30 bottoms and so many different top cambers, wheels, lengths between wheels etc. Good luck with that.

I'm one that doesn't think companys deserve credit for doing the right thing. This is however deserves props. Good story.

Brand new bridge (& saddle) arrived today. Saddle will fit currently installed bridge, yay! All I have to do is cut the slots. Easy peasy.

Thank you again, Eastman.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Here’s another terrific Eastman story, Hank.
    A few years ago I bought a new Eastman bowlback (no longer being manufactured) from a music shop in New York. When I received the mandolin, I noticed some finish crazing in the top. I contacted Eastman’s rep and he offered to apply the full purchase price to any other Eastman stringed instrument with no shipping charges. Turns out they’d had a batch of those instruments show up with the same defect. Eastman even paid for the return shipping on the bowlback. I ended up being the proud owner of a new mandocello.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

its inspiring to hear such stories once in a while. mostly, one only hear about which companies treat their customers in the worst ways. its much more useful to learn which ones has great policies, than it is to hear about which ones has bad policies. that way, we know which ones to direct our custom to, instead of which ones to avoid. very useful info. thanks, people.

Eastman is on a roll. The quality of their instruments is quite impressive. I purchased one of the new MD 505CC models from TMS . It sounds great and the fit and finish is first rate.
    "Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period.”
    – Lou Holtz

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.”
    - Jake LaMotta

“Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick