Thread: Fretboard repair/install HELP?

Default Fretboard repair/install HELP?

I have a question: I’m ready to install the fretboard. The fretboard is bound but not completely fitted to the neck profile. After gluing, the binding will need to be scraped and sanded. My question is...should I install frets before I glue it on or after? If I do it before, how do I do a good job scraping the biding and final fitting? Any opinion will be appreciated. Thanks Gentleman!

Default Re: Fretboard repair/install HELP?

I always fret before it's glued on. And I use an arbor press, which you can't really do after it's on. You can also trim your fret ends and file flush to the binding much more easily without it on the instrument. I don't know what you're referring to about scraping the binding in reference to the frets being in or not. Once the board is on, you scrape, file, and whatever as you sneak up to the bottom edge of the binding.

Let me explain: When I made the fretboard I held back for the binding. Even though I did, it still hangs over the neck wood some. It Will need to be dressed. Will I have a problem with that if I fret first? I.E. scraping the binding and possibly hitting the fret ends? Thx.

I had an early Chris Warner (Gibson copy) that needed work. I had a nice pre-fretted fingerboard that I wanted to install. While the old fingerboard was off, I planed and leveled the neck and extension. I did my best to pre-size the width so I wouldn't have a lot of scraping to do to the binding. I ended up still having to scrape more than I would have liked to. I guess that was better than taking too much off and having to use wider binding. I really didn't want to disturb the finish but inevitably, I did. Here's a photo, the new binding is lighter than the rest of the instrument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	363.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	184675  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Teacher, repair person

A repairman's perspective:

Before I install a fingerboard, I drill a few tiny holes for locating pins to hold the board in place while gluing. Tiny brads available from a hardware store make good pins. They can be located in a couple of fret slots, or in a couple of pockets for the fingerboard inlays.

I pin the board to the neck without any glue, mark the edge, remove it, and trim it close to final dimensions. Then I install the frets and do a rough profile of the fret edges.

I don't level the fret tops until after the board is glued to the instrument. If I pin through a fret slot, I leave that fret out until after the board has been glued.

When I'm ready to glue the board, I drill small holes in the clamping caul to clear the locating pins. I glue the board in with the locating pins in place. When it's dry, I pull out the pins, install the missing frets, and finish trimming the binding edge and fret edges with no problems. Then I level and polish the frets and string it up.

If I pin through an inlay cavity, I pre-fit the inlay dry, level it, and draw a pencil mark across the inlay so I can locate it in the same place after I glue the board. I push the inlay out from the back of the board, then glue it in after the board is on the instrument.

How wide is the fingerboard at the nut with the binding on? If you can spare some width, I'd pull the binding on one edge of the board and sand so that your bound fingerboard is a little narrower than the wood of the neck. Then rebind and fret. It's going to be a pain but it's going to be a lot better to scrape wood to meet the binding than the other way around when you scrape through the binding after it's glued on. Always leave the neck wood wider by a snitch than the other way around (on future projects).

Like rcc56 I use locating pins too. You could always pin it on the neck, scrape the binding close, then fret and glue it on. Final fitting to the neck would be minimal then.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I made the fretboard .060 smaller on each side for binding. The binding hangs over maybe .010 - .015 each side. Could all this be avoided by gluing the board, dressing to the neck and then fretting?

IMHO, you're cutting it really close but you could pull this off. As mentioned before, locating pins are going to be a must. There is no reason that the edge of the fingerboard binding has to be perfectly vertical. I'd pin and clamp the fingerboard on and when you know you're going to make this happen, fret the board off the neck. put a pencil mark all the way down the fingerboard on the bottom edge of the binding. As you trim your frets, file the ends, and so forth, make sure you don't touch the bottom edge. The pencil mark will make this easier.

Teacher, repair person

You can scrape overhanging binding by putting a layer or two of masking tape on part of the scraper blade. See frets.com "masked razor blade scraping." The masking tape will ride on the neck surface and the scraper will cut only the binding, and the neck surface will not be compromised. Knock the overhanging edge off first, then make any adjustments to the rest of the fingerboard edge after the edge is gone.

You don't have to worry about the frets getting in the way if you follow my techniques. You can file any ends that project and get in the way with a hand file, a sanding block, or, if you have one, a file in a beveling block.

I use masked scrapers frequently in repair work to avoid finish damage. You can also mask off part of a sanding block. Check the tape every couple of minutes to make sure the blade hasn't cut through the tape.

I'm signing off for the day. Work slowly and thoughtfully, and everything will come out fine.

You guys are amazing! Thanks so much rcc56 and all of you veterans. One thing I don’t think I made clear, this neck is STRIPPED and UNFINISHED. Will this change our plans? Thx. Again. Patiently waiting.

Should just make it easier as you don't have to worry about the finish.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!