Thread: Carlo Aonzo teaches the Allemanda from Bach's solo BWV 1004

Default Carlo Aonzo teaches the Allemanda from Bach's solo BWV 1004

I was delighted to discover this morning that Carlo Aonzo has recently created a video where he demonstrates his approach to playing the Allemanda from Bach's D minor Partita no. 2 for solo violin.

This is one of my favorite movements from the solo violin collection and one of the few that I can actually play. It was extremely valuable to me to see and hear Carlo demonstrate his own way of fingering some of the more challenging (for me) passages and also his thinking about up/down picking patterns in this piece.

If this is a piece you already know and love I can promise that you will find something of value. If you are relatively new to the solo Bach violin music played on mandolin you will find that this is one of the more accessible movements.

Highly recommended!

John G.

(P.S. I was able to find a Paypal "donate" button on Carlo's website.)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Carlo Aonzo teaches the Allemanda from Bach's solo BWV 1004

Nice demonstration! I use a little different fingering playing this Allemanda, but the main principles, like holding tones when playing others, calculating the direction of strokes ect. are the same. And also it was interesting to see how he makes the demonstration. That was helpful.

Carlo is an excellent player and teacher. I look fwd to watching that video. Thanks,JG for posting it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yesterday I learned that Carlo has also uploaded a YouTube lesson covering his approach to playing the Presto from the G minor Sonata no. 1 (BWV 1001). This is another one of my personal favorite movements and I have been working on it for decades at a slow tempo. It's very satisfying to me that way.

He walks you through the piece while demonstrating many of the tricky measures at a moderate tempo. This piece is a great finger workout even if (like me) you can't begin to play it at light speed. Highly recommended!

Thanks Carlo!

6. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

Carlo has these tunes above plus Calace's Piccola Gavotta (one of my favorites I was learning way back) and Ninna Nanna, a lovely lullaby composed by his dad Giuseppe. It looks like he will have Calace's Amor si Culla as well, at some point. On this page he has links to the videos and pdf sheet music with his suggested fingerings.

Here's his tutorial for Piccola Gavotta which gives you the wide range of effects that Calace built into this piece. This is not really the most difficult piece of RC's but a very nice melodic excursion into the romantic style of this Italian parlor music piece.

Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-25-2020 at 8:29pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

MikeyG