Thread: Wegen (bluegrass) picks without grip holes available?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Wegen (bluegrass) picks without grip holes available?

I will run low on my supply on Wegen picks in the forseeable future. Itīs been a long time in the coming.

I have Wegen (bluegrass) picks without holes. Thatīs what I like. Are they still available? Wherever I looked the regular teardrop shaped picks that Wegen sells under the "bluegrass" nomenclature are available with grip holes only. I donīt like that.

Other picks that I use are Hense (casein) picks. I do think that the illegal material sounds best. But we do abide the law. I found Wegen picks to come close. Thatīs why I would like to still play them. But alas, the pick holes put me off.

Point me to somewhere, if you can.
    Olaf

Default Re: Wegen (bluegrass) picks without grip holes available?

He’ll do customs, so no holes shouldn’t be a problem. Wegenpicks.com
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I have a set of three white Wegen M150 1.5-mm picks that I bought years ago and essentially never used -- Too thick for me for Irish trad style I play. If interested in them, send me a private message.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Thankīs all.

I have some M150 picks also. But Iīd have to cut them to size (teardrop shape etc.). Apparently Wegen makes some kinds of picks without and some with holes.

As it is in these threads
    - you tend to vent (as I did because I donīt like the holes)
    - you tend to post too quickly (as I did because I could have mailed Michael Wegen about the question).

I also found that some shops have generic (old) pictures of the pick on their website but do sell the "new" product (here: picks with holes as opposed to the picture on the website -> picks without holes).

Looks like I ought to look some more before...

But I really do like Wegen picks.
    Olaf

I copied the hole pattern I liked, then drilled it into my proplec picks. That worked nicely for me!
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

If this were April 1st, I'd point out that the picks with holes in them have reduced wind resistance, allowing you to pick faster! I'm pretty sure Wegen will make them for you without the holes.

I take a bluegrass pick and use the holes as a template to drill holes in my Dippers. Different strokes....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thumbs down UPDATE; Re: Wegen (bluegrass) picks without grip holes available?

I contacted Martin Hense (martinsmusikkiste.de) who is an extremely reliable internet salesperson for any musical equipment. I have no affiliation even though I eventually buy things from him from time to time.

I shot him an email about the availability of Wegen Bluegrass picks without holes. He mailed me back (immediately) and told me that Michael Wegen makes Bluegrass picks with holes exclusively. I am not interested to pester Michael Wegen about custom picks.

So despite the fact that I really (!!!) like Wegen picks, the holes put me off so much that I may have to look for different picks.

I recently tried a Dunlop Primetone (teardrop shaped) pick. But the shape was too pointy and not like i like it with the Wegen Bluegrass pick (or the Red bear Classic C or whatever name the teardrop pick had/has). I guess I will use the Hense casein pick in the future... and keep a spare Wegen for future use. I do not like the Blue Chip pick though. Itīs okay on my Martin D-16M but does not sound nice on my really good guitars. The other picks (like Wegen etc.) are better on the Martin also but I keep the Blue Chip there because I donīt want to "retire" the pick.

Thatīs all folks.
    Olaf

I thought I saw some rounded hole-less Wegen on The Mandolin Store’s website while browsing last week...they may not be the size/thickness/shape you prefer, but it’s probably worth looking into...

They’re on page 2 of the accessories page...

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I thought I saw some rounded hole-less Wegen on The Mandolin Store’s website while browsing last week...they may not be the size/thickness/shape you prefer, but it’s probably worth looking into...

They’re on page 2 of the accessories page...
    Thank you kindly.
    The mandolin store, like many, carries Wegen picks. It has the Bluegrass picks (with holes) and the „M“ variety (that you refer to). M-picks indeed have no holes. The shape is that of the Dawg-picks or Golden Gate picks. They are quite rounded and therefore quite unlike the average teardrop shape. I indeed still have some from before I switched to the teardrop kind on the mandolin. I don‘t want to go back.
    I would have to cut and file an M pick to size. But alas I am too lazy/stupid (take your pick) to come up with a satisfactory result.
    Olaf

Last edited by Charles E.; Apr-06-2020 at 6:06pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: UPDATE; Re: Wegen (bluegrass) picks without grip holes availa

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post

I shot him an email about the availability of Wegen Bluegrass picks without holes. He mailed me back (immediately) and told me that Michael Wegen makes Bluegrass picks with holes exclusively. I am not interested to pester Michael Wegen about custom picks.
    Thatīs all folks.
    I'm surprised you think asking a merchant for something is pestering. From his website Wegenpicks.com:

"The Production Process
    Each pick is made by hand, so if you would like to have a custom made pick, please let me know what you would like.

Precision tools
    I can offer picks in any shape, and in almost dimension. So, ask me if you have any special wishes, you won't be the first ( and probably not the last) who will find out that special picks aren't hard to get, after all."

Leaving out a production step might make him happy.

Take the man at his word.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

You could fill in the holes with JB Weld.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Michel Wegen is well worth pestering(I've done it a lot); and,he doesn't seem to mind AT ALL to make whatever thickness, overall dimension.or surface texture that you might care to have. You might even mention the amount of bevel you prefer. He can do cookie-cutter or custom. He is a true artiste!

Honestly,I have not requested any custom picks from Michel for a while; but,he has been quite approachable in the past. Very friendly, enjoyable to do business with.
    I ordered picks from him directly, in custom thicknesses and rough/smooth finishes. That way I found the perfect one for me and for several different mandolins.

Way easier to buy from Michel than say...Red Bear or some other makers.

Sorry, Olaf, I misread and thought you were looking for the more rounded ones. I can’t play with those, either, lol, no way I’d give up my larger triangles or the BG teardrop for those circles, 😂