Thread: tone guard

Default tone guard

If it's such a great thing, and as many will say, a must-have, why aren't makers incorporating the likes into their builds (are there some?)? I get it, yes it works.

I have an archtop tenor that I can get differing tones from depending on the back being away from my body or against and depending on my forearm resting in the top or not.
    If I put a Tone Guard on it, it would guard against tones I like to exploit.

Default Re: tone guard

Then perhaps you ought not get one for your playing style.
    Personally, I love them and have one on every mandolin I own.

Take your tenor and hold it up against your belly and face into a corner and play. Now hold it out like a machine gun away from your belly and play into the corner. Does it sound better to you? If not don't worry about it. Count yourself lucky that you can't hear it but don't assume nobody else can't hear it. Nobody incorporates it into the build because they aren't all that expensive and some folks don't like them. There are few well known users on the Tone-gard website. I'll note that Monroe never used one because it hadn't been invented. He did hold the mandolin out away from his body at times when he was taking a break though.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    I have an archtop tenor that I can get differing tones from depending on the back being away from my body or against and depending on my forearm resting in the top or not.
    From this I must assume that you play your tenor while sitting down because if you played it standing it would be quite difficult to keep the back completely away from your body.

Sounds like you are utilizing the "muting" of the back and top with your body and forearm. That's cool! If makers were building the guards into the instruments you'd be at a loss. Verdict: you don't need a tone guard.

-Mr. Obvious.
    Last edited by Ky Slim; Feb-14-2020 at 11:35am. Reason: thought of something else to say

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    If it's such a great thing, and as many will say, a must-have, why aren't makers incorporating the likes into their builds (are there some?)? . . .
    For the same reason that cars don't come equipped with studded snow tires and bicycles don't come equipped with bells. Lots of folks think they're important, lots of folks don't.

Either way, they're not part of the car or bike. They're attachments. If you want the attachment, buy it and attach it.

Tone Gard works; does the job it is intended for.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Brian Dean (classical mandolin builder) has been making mandolins with a double or "false back" for awhile now.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Has it been two months already? I didn't realize it was time to resurrect this subject again. My how time flies.

David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

9. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Had one but sold it ! The way I hold my mandolin I didn't hear any benefit !

I've come to appreciate the tonegard on my mandolin because of my covid 15 (lbs)!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Brian Dean (classical mandolin builder) has been making mandolins with a double or "false back" for awhile now.
    Builders have been doing this since the teens at least, maybe longer. Two Dayton models are here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Has it been two months already? I didn't realize it was time to resurrect this subject again. My how time flies.

Yup, you can set your clock by it! In fact, if members would just search Google they would find that 99.99999% of the questions asked on this forum have already been answered many times over -- by this forum already in previous postings -- but what fun would that be?