Thread: For members that make a living in the music business

Default For members that make a living in the music business

This is an article in Variety for those that are self-employed in the music business.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...9fALE9InFh_hos
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: For members that make a living in the music business

I heard about the provisions in the $2B "stimulus" bill that would make self-employed workers -- musicians too! -- eligible for unemployment benefits. I'm out about $1K in canceled gigs, but since my music earnings are "extra" above my retirement income, and I don't need them to live on (just to buy mandolin strings, and I'm not wearing them out at the usual pace), I'm not thinking of filing.

Another western NY full-time musician posted ten days ago that he was already out $3.4K through cancellations. He's a better candidate for these benefits. Of course, given the congestion on our unemployment insurance website, it may be a while before he gets the money.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Before the world was in "crisis mode" I managed to barely eke out a living from gigs, repair work, and eBay sales. So, if you can't hire a band, support your local repairman and/or buy something musical online -- supposing you are in a position to do so and are just sitting around bored.....

This is "in addition to" whatever might show up in the mailbox from the government (and I ain't crossing my fingers that's gonna happen.....)

FWIW and actually, if money didn't enter into the picture, the idea of people staying home, being quiet, not driving on the streets, staying out of stores, etc. -- is kind of a great thing.............

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    FWIW and actually, if money didn't enter into the picture, the idea of people staying home, being quiet, not driving on the streets, staying out of stores, etc. -- is kind of a great thing.............
    I forgot to add.....however, kids are out of school and making noise all day long.........and, of course, stay off my lawn!

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Hopefully they filed returns for 2018.
    We few, we happy few.