Thread: Wanted: Japanese Bowlback mandolin case

Default Wanted: Japanese Bowlback mandolin case

<Should be posted in the Classifieds, please. The Forum is meant to be a non-commercial zone, free of selling and buying.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-29-2020 at 1:03pm.

Default Re: Wanted: Japanese Bowlback mandolin case

I am fairly sure that such an enquiry doesn't belong on the forum, and should go in the Classifieds.

Plastic case? I guess those don't make it over here to the US. Do you have a photo of what one looks like?

And do you want a 1970 vintage one or do you just like the design of those?

Like this one (not plastic for a Suzuki)?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I Believe Eastman makes bowl backs too, and a fiberglass case for them..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yep, something like Jim have suggested. I thought they are plastic, but perhaps ply covered with vinyl. Doesn't matter whether vintage or not. Finding one in OZ would be great as otherwise postage will kill the idea. Thanks.

Some of those eBay sellers from Taiwan/Vietnam have cases that look pretty decent. I don't know how the shipping from there factors in.

My favorite bowlback case was a Chinese one imported to the US by one eBay seller in Texas (I think). They are no longer selling on eBay. These were very lightweight but thick foam cases and came with straps. And they sold here in the US for under $50. I have three or four of them but don't see those for sale any more.

Actually this Asian distributor sells one that looks like it. I don't know if it is prohibitive to ship from them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: