Thread: A Mandolin Strap question

Default A Mandolin Strap question

Hello, fellow pickers,

This is my first post here. I have a 47" strap on my Loar mandolin. However, I'd like to have a longer one. The mandolin doesn't sit down in my lap the way I want it to for the proper posture. I do use a foot pedal, too. Does anyone know if they make any straps longer than that?

Default Re: A Mandolin Strap question

Bill Bailey straps

I have a nice Lakota strap on one mandolin, but the strap is just a bit too short. I used a leather boot lace and tied one end through the last hole of the mandolin strap and the other end around the endpin. The connection with the endpin is actually much more secure than my other straps and never slips off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4710.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	184543
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Try slinging what you have over your shoulder instead of around your neck. If that doesn't work, another vote for Bailey.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

a classic FAQ,
    the over the left shoulder thing means you leave your Stetson on..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks, yankees. I'll go check it out.

I thought about that, Doug. My Loar is an F style. The strap came with a lace. I think I'll try your idea. Thanks.

8. The following members say thank you to Larry Hendricks for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    a classic FAQ,
    the over the left shoulder thing means you leave your Stetson on..
    Yes, someone told me that's what Bill Monroe did because he wore a Stetson.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Try slinging what you have over your shoulder instead of around your neck. If that doesn't work, another vote for Bailey.
    Thanks, Brick. Boy, I really like the instant responses I get in this forum. Thanks a lot, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hendricks View Post
    I thought about that, Doug. My Loar is an F style. The strap came with a lace. I think I'll try your idea. Thanks.
    Might as well try!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Dawg is seen using an over the head strap, just supporting the mandolin by the scroll ..
    a Sax strapap has a hook, for the ring on the instrument

I use a Uke strap with my Hodson D'jangolin . the hook is pulling on the bottom edge of the soundhole,
    cord passing under the body..

Mariachi guitar straps are longer , most famously used by Willy Nelson ..

Nylon string guitars have no strap buttons...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

All of the above recommendations are good.
    I’ll add a more generic idea for anyone who needs a different F-style strap and has some little bit of confidence in their craft abilities:

You can buy a length of leather from lots of leather suppliers or most tack shops. Get something about 5/8ths inch wide or any width you like. Get a length that will give you the length you need from tailpiece pin, over your shoulder to the fingerboard near the scroll; then add about 6 or more inches so that you can make a loop for the scroll.

You can make the scroll loop by using a slit braid technique called a ‘Blood Knot’ (John Moore showed me this many years ago.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEkhA4WVIk

Look ahead and make the loop the size you want and to fit the scroll.
    You can just do a short section of knot as shown in the video or you can continue it until you run out of leather length for a more enhanced fancier look. End the knot on the back side and trim so that the trimmed end won't be seen. Then make a hole in the tailpiece end to make the proper length.

I’d practice on a scrap before you do the real deal to be sure you’ve got the idea.

Here’s one that I made with bison leather and extended the knot for over 25 inches:

Name:	Loop-Front-long.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	184582
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Heck, you can just buy a long pair of bootlaces, noose at both ends and you can spend a whole seven bucks. I did this with my A 1. Seems right for that mandolin.

I got my Silverangel with a real nice braided strap meant for an F style. When I got an F style it turned out to be way too short. I finally tried it slung over the shoulder. Was perfect. I've always wanted a Stetson like Truman would have worn. More recently Tweedy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Heck, you can just buy a long pair of bootlaces, noose at both ends and you can spend a whole seven bucks. I did this with my A 1. Seems right for that mandolin..
    I’ve temporarily used a boot lace in the past. I tried it again last week and the relatively narrow leather lace bothered my shoulder, even with the light weight of a mandolin. I guess that’s the opposite of manly?
    Doug Brock

I found a 1-inch wide braided leather belt at a thrift store for $3.00 and used a leather boot lace to create the front and rear loops to make a strap for my F-style. Great strap for a $6.50 investment. Be creative.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I have a nice Lakota strap on one mandolin, but the strap is just a bit too short. I used a leather boot lace and tied one end through the last hole of the mandolin strap and the other end around the endpin. The connection with the endpin is actually much more secure than my other straps and never slips off.

Name:	IMG_4710.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	184543
    This.
    Living’ in the Mitten