Thread: string gauge calculator

Default string gauge calculator

D'Addario's calculator is down, under construction. For the life of be I can't remember other such resources. Help?

I want to put together a lighter set than their EJ78, as light as possible w/o giving up the wound strings.

A previous headstock repair gave a short time after I strung her up with the EJ78. My luthier didn't have loop-ends in the correct gauges so set her up as an OM. It's quite nice, but just not the same, obviously.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Default Re: string gauge calculator

I have used the calculator at https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_gui..._from_size.htm successfully. Haven't popped a string yet, at least not because it was the wrong guage.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanks HonketyH,

Nifty tool, I was digging in, ready to compare different materials and realised it's all for nothing not knowing what's available loop-end.

I've played mucked around with removing the ball from ball-end strings before with 50% success. I've found the steel compromised causing the string to break at that point in not to long, I've broken one or two when trying to remove the ball, and have had the end unwrap over time. I know others do this without a problem. Just one of those things I'm not meant to do.

HI Andy, I have been using Mapes strings for years and they are a great company. They actually manufacture the wire used by most all of the other string sellers. You can put together any gauge set you like from any of the options they feature.
    They can only be purchased directly from Mapes.
    Plus! A human answers the phone if you call and will find answers to any questions you come up with.
    https://www.mapesstrings.com

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    See us on youtube - The Duo Lynx
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

For nipping out the ball for ball-end** strings, I have used a small nipper that I bought in a cheap set. Probably available on Amazon or Harbor Freight. They were a bit dull for the job so I had to sharpen them. The trick is not to try to get the ball out all at once. You just nip a cut on one side, then nip another near it. The second nip will probably knock a chunk out. Then another nearby nip. By then you can probably get the ball out. Maybe another nip. I have had pretty good luck doing this. If you have old eyeballs, you might need your reading glasses -- probably should anyway if you have little metal chunks flying around.

** By ball-end, I am presuming that your ball end strings are like mine -- ie, not really a ball, more like a hollow little cylinder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0313a.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	892.1 KB 
ID:	184788
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I have only done this once in an emergency but I put the end of a string through the hollow part of the ball to create a loop. It held until I changed string a couple of months later. This was an E string.

Thanks Billy.

Thanks Hank, I had opened the loop before, just enough to pop the ball out. My eyes are actually older than the strings.

Thanks Nevin, I've done that before for a temporary solution. This would not fit under the tailpiece cover.

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    ... I had opened the loop before, just enough to pop the ball out.
    I've used vice-grips, or an actual vice, to crush the ball/tube in on itself, hopefully without crimping down on the string's loop. With luck, this results in 4 somewhat equal quarters, with one of them probably ready to fall out. Reverse-straightening the remainders can help complete the metal fatigue to loosen them all up, for which needle-nose pliers can help.

Actually opening the loop seems like asking for trouble.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson