Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	184562
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB101DC8-2119-46BF-B9AD-6F5920DA2474.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	184563
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Waiting for UPS

Doug, is that the one from TME?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Doug, is that the one from TME?
    Yes.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Gorgeous - now that you've taken off the plastic gloves, how does it sound?

Enjoy that beautiful 2 point. Such a cool design and Will gets the tone!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Gorgeous - now that you've taken off the plastic gloves, how does it sound?
    I was actually shocked by the number and extent of the scratches on the top. TME showed a few, but they didn’t convey the extent! If I were thinking of future trades, the scratches would have probably killed the sale. I know that varnish is soft, though, and TME did say it had play wear, lol. I do plan to play it out, so I guess I won’t worry as much about the danger of getting a scratch. (From a few feet away, you really can’t see any damage unless the light strikes the wood just right.)

It sounds great! When I first played it, it seemed shrill - my initial response was horror! I was using my Wegen pick which I had been using for a dark Silverangel, so that was probably a factor. I changed picks, and a Blue Chip pick and a Prime Tone had the Kimble sounding rich and strong. I’m sure part of it was my adjusting my playing to the mandolin. Bass is strong. The trebles stay clean even when played at volumes that hurt my ears.

I’m loving it.
    Doug Brock

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the Kimble club! That's a beaut!

Try lots of string/pick combos - my A is responding spectacularly to the D'Addario Monels.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Ears are funny things. They get accustomed to a sound, and at first don’t like another. They do adjust though. Going from dark to bright can sound harsh, and the other way sound muddy. Fortunately they adapt.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I wonder if that was Will’s personal mandolin for awhile? I think I played that one. It was a killer mandolin!

13. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

That’s a great looking mandolin! I love that the neck & headstock aren’t bound - gives it an understated elegant look. The sunburst is gorgeous and beautifully done to complement the 2 point body.

Try different picks and strings to see what suites your ears best. I prefer Nickel Bronze strings on mine ...

You mentioned that it has scratches, but I can’t see them from the pictures. No worries about putting the 1st ding on it and can now get down to enjoying it for what it is.

Enjoy it in good health!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

15. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I wonder if that was Will’s personal mandolin for awhile? I think I played that one. It was a killer mandolin!
    Indeed it was. His finish is also very thin.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Here are some of the scratches. Easy to see with the eye but harder to capture in a picture.

Name:	90290956-879D-4528-BEFC-D076373B1558.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	184577

Name:	B96E8121-4721-408B-985B-FC82F6FBDD6B.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	184578

Name:	7B04A7F8-EB11-4DCD-A620-428BD9CFA153.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	184579

Name:	2B275CFE-704E-403B-9CB7-8493361723C3.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	184580

Name:	757B9E55-9FCC-4CB5-AC13-192BFDA98CDC.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	184581
    Doug Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    Here are some of the scratches. Easy to see with the eye but harder to capture in a picture.

Name:	90290956-879D-4528-BEFC-D076373B1558.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	184577

Name:	B96E8121-4721-408B-985B-FC82F6FBDD6B.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	184578

Name:	7B04A7F8-EB11-4DCD-A620-428BD9CFA153.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	184579

Name:	2B275CFE-704E-403B-9CB7-8493361723C3.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	184580

Name:	757B9E55-9FCC-4CB5-AC13-192BFDA98CDC.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	184581
    Those aren’t scratches ~ that’s mojo!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

To be fair, the price is about $1k less than a new one, and if I remember correctly, this one has a radiused board. I bought a new one, which due to the thin finish, had some marks on it a few years back. Varnish marks easily, but a competent luthier could buff a lot of that out.

Years ago, I purchased an expensive varnished mandolin that had been on consignment by the builder at a well known shop. The shop took it out to a few festivals, and the mandolin sustained a lot of finish damage. The builder sold me the mandolin at a very reasonable price, and I used it for several years as a beater. I left if for a few weeks with my luthier for set up work. When I picked it up, it looked different. I asked him, “what did you do?”. He’d buffed all the finish crackle out....part of me was ecstatic, but another part was kind of disappointed. I liked having it as a beater.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    He’d buffed all the finish crackle out....part of me was ecstatic, but another part was kind of disappointed. I liked having it as a beater.
    Go towards the light. He gave you a blank canvas to create your own mojo. Bet it sounds killer too.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Wasn’t the first time he’s done it. I had a nice guitar with a dent on the top. I left it for a setup......dent free when I picked it up. He’s a perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Those aren’t scratches ~ that’s mojo!
    Agreed! Congrats to the OP.....I was eyeing that one up for a while!

25. The following members say thank you to oliverkollar for this post:

Unless you tell him "not to", he'll go with his instincts. I like him already

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Those are just pick marks in the varnish. Mine have plenty of wear like that. As Mary said, it's relatively thin varnish which is part of Kimble tone recipe. I've played somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Kimbles and that one was a standout. I played it when it was relatively new and if I hadn't already had an F5 at home, would have tried to buy it on the spot. You got a good one. Enjoy!

FWIW I like the nickel bronze D'Addarios with a Blue Chip pick on mine.

28. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Unless you tell him "not to", he'll go with his instincts. I like him already

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I can't tell him anything...............he just does what he does. I've seen John Hiatt's guitars (one had what looked like a screwdriver stab mark through the top) on his bench, and they get the same treatment. He had a guitar that belonged to Roseanne Cash that was flattened by the airlines (even in a road case) that he put back together again. One of Crosby's vintage Martins that fell off a stand on stage (headstock shattered off)...................all put back together, meticulously. Amazing guy.

I always expect that what I leave with him will look, feel, and sound 200% better when I pick it up.

Those are just pick marks in the varnish. Mine have plenty of wear like that. As Mary said, it's relatively thin varnish which is part of Kimble tone recipe. I've played somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Kimbles and that one was a standout. I played it when it was relatively new and if I hadn't already had an F5 at home, would have tried to buy it on the spot. You got a good one. Enjoy!

That's funny, I just strung mine with NB's.

To paraphrase RT, my favorite color scheme!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    To paraphrase RT, my favorite color scheme!
    No offense Jim, but I still prefer red hair and black leather!

34. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Getting back to the subject of UPS: I have installed their app on my phone and they give me all kinds of information and options. I can "sign" for a package there; I can tell the driver where to leave it (front door, back door, etc.); I can follow the progress of the package as it makes the journey to my house; they can notify me when it's delivered.

I guess I'm lucky because the UPS delivery man nearly always arrives in a 45 minute window on delivery day.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Getting back to the subject of UPS: I have installed their app on my phone and they give me all kinds of information and options. I can "sign" for a package there; I can tell the driver where to leave it (front door, back door, etc.); I can follow the progress of the package as it makes the journey to my house; they can notify me when it's delivered.

I guess I'm lucky because the UPS delivery man nearly always arrives in a 45 minute window on delivery day.
    I’ve used the app but it didn’t give me a narrow window. Our UPS deliveries tend to be late evening but occasionally mid-morning or early afternoon. I just keep wondering all day lol.
    Doug Brock