Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for UPS

Default Waiting for UPS

Does Time pass any more slowly than when waiting for UPS to show up with your newly purchased mandolin?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Waiting for UPS

I've often wondered if a microwave minute was different than a treadmill minute. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

It does. This was proven by Einstein in his theory of relativity. Waiting on delivery of his new violin gave him the idea from his observation of common phenomena. His wife worked out all the math for his theory while he polished up his rendition of Sally Goodin’

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goose 2 For This Useful Post:

The last 5 minutes of waiting for your replacement at work so you can go home are exponentially longer than the first 5 minutes of your shift. I think waiting for UPS to bring a new mandolin parallels this.

Other than the occasional work meeting, it's pretty much the only time I want time to speed up, lol. They and Fed-Ex usually come by our house in the late afternoon/evenings, which is generally perfect, but when signature is required they come much earlier in the day, which is not generally perfect. Fortunately, I have a UPS store about a block from my office, so I usually redirect instruments there to pick up when possible; it's worked well thus far, and takes a lot of the stress out of the wait for me.

Of course, if you're locked in from COVID-19, then it just is what it is...

Hope your mando arrives in great shape!!
    Chuck

Then there's the 24 hour wait for the box to acclimate.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

9. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Not if you live in California, but you do pay a premium for the privilege.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Set a big pot of water on the stove and watch...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

12. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Kevin nailed it. My grandmother always would say "A watched pot never boils.."
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

That is a week in psychological time! (And do not touch the box for a bit of time due to the virus - I use gloves with my packages - and then take the gloves off safely - and then wash my hands.) Sorry to be paranoid. But as long as you should not open it up anyway, may as well also save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Then there's the 24 hour wait for the box to acclimate.

So it seems like some delivery services, white trucks, have stepped things up during this time of need (including Sunday delivery in rural areas) and other delivery services, brown trucks, have dropped the ball big time. I sent a mandolin, via brown trucks, last week to a location 6 hrs away from me, paid for 2 day shipping and it took 6 days. I will never use brown trucks again especially since they did not have the decency to respond to my customer service email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    So it seems like some delivery services, white trucks, have stepped things up during this time of need (including Sunday delivery in rural areas) and other delivery services, brown trucks, have dropped the ball big time. I sent a mandolin, via brown trucks, last week to a location 6 hrs away from me, paid for 2 day shipping and it took 6 days. I will never use brown trucks again especially since they did not have the decency to respond to my customer service email.
    It's so surprising that the color of the trucks makes that big of a difference. ;-)

You might not receive your package on time. UPS just issued this announcement:

UPS

UPS® is committed to operating globally, except where constrained by government restrictions. The Novel Coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented complexities, which have required us to constantly reassess our operations. Our highest priority is to help ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers, and suppliers.

Suspension of Small Package Service Guarantee

Effective March 26, 2020 and until further notice, we have suspended the UPS Service Guarantee for all shipments to any destination, at all service levels. As the effects of the Coronavirus impact our infrastructure, we will continue to seek guidance from local and national government entities regarding applicable regulations. Please continue to visit ups.com's Coronavirus web page for the most up-to-date information regarding the impact of Coronavirus on UPS Small Package services. The UPS Service Guarantee is subject to change. For further details, see the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service.

Blog Entries

I got a two hour window from UPS for their estimated delivery time. I have 11 minutes left in that window. Please, somebody, play the jingle.

8 minutes: Play it again!
    7 minutes: Keep it going.

Man, this is tedious.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Looking out my window (four minutes after the 2-hour window) I have seen Fed Ex trucks go by three times and the USPS vehicle twice., along with a few bicyclers and dogwalkers.

Still playing the jingle.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    It's so surprising that the color of the trucks makes that big of a difference. ;-)
    Put it on a red truck and they go like a house on fire
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

21. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Blog Entries

Ohboy, there he is.

Blog Entries

Oh lordie, there must be a cubic yard of peanuts (ghost toots) in that box.

And the case feels cold. I'm gonna have to wait before I open it any further.

I'm gonna be awful tired of that jingle.

What's in the case, Hank?
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

I don't know whats in Hanks box but Doug, did the Kimble two point arrive?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I did a trade around the end of the year after Christmas. I shippe my via Fedex and it got to him a day early, I think two days after Christmas. Mine was due to arrive via UPS the following Monday. I had the detailed texts for info and they said it was on the truck early in the morning and due to arrive before 8pm. I waited and waited and finally called them at 9:30, got someone in India. They told me that it went back to the warehouse. I asked if they knew if it was going to be on a truck all night. They they told me that they would not deliver it the next day at all, New Years Eve day. Which meant that it would be in the truck (possibly) or warehouse until Thursday. This was especially annoying because we have a major UPS shipping facility down the street from here. I can almost see it from my house. In any case I did go to the UPS facility on Thursday and gave them the info and was about to explode when they told me they could not find it and it was probably sent back to sender. Then, finally, someone realized that it was in a special cage in the warehouse since it was insured for multiple thousands of dollars. So all's well that ends. I would not say it ended well except I have a wonderful mandolin. But enough of me.

On the other hand: i sent a box of things to may daughter via UPS the other day and it arrived exactly the time they said it would.

Normally I use Fedex ground. If someone ships something of value to me in bad weather then I often will have them ship it to a Fedex-Kinko store near me so I can go pick it up and be assured that it is not in a frigid warehouse waiting or left on my doorstep.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I don't know whats in Hanks box but Doug, did the Kimble two point arrive?
    Yes it did! I got a bit of time on it this evening (about six hours) and am loving it.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

28. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, I have already stomped all over Doug's thread, so I'll just say I would trade several of what I presume is in my box for what was in his box. And I'm not talking about the ghost f@rts.

Doug, I have looked at the ads for Kimble 2-pointers and just sighed. Good onya!

30. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

We need pics!

32. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Con spir a cy