Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Default Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Good stuff Aidan. I've been hitting the Howl at the Moon in Hoxton now and again, let me know if you're up for one in a couple weeks
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

2. The following members say thank you to danb for this post:

Good to hear from you, Dan. I'll message you privately to see what we can arrange... Aidan

A quick update ... a sort of "almost the end of year" stocktake.

I'm really pleased that my humble efforts to evangelise the cause of Irish music played on mandolin seem to be appreciated by many in the mandolin community. Both my website and YouTube channel seem to be well-used.

Over the course of the last year to date, the videos at my YouTube channel have been viewed 50,056 times. That's probably very small beer indeed to professional influencers but to someone operating in what is essentially a niche within a niche, it proves that there's value in what I do and so it spurs me on to keep up the work.

As far as the website is concerned, 8,162 visitors downloaded/viewed 46,953 separate resources. Again those sorts of figures keep me motivated!

The downside of creating the tune learning resources for both my website and the YouTube channel is that I focus very much on tabbing out and playing individual tunes and of course the real heart of Irish trad is combining individual tunes into sets. So I've started to set a little time aside to record a few sets now and again. Here are three examples of recent sets that I've been playing and have decided to record.

The Connaughtman's Rambles/Tiocfaidh Tú Abhaile Liom?

The Teetotallers/The Virginia

An Rogaire Dubh/Na Ceannabháin Bhána

The last of these features tenor guitar and mandolin. I changed computer a while back and I hadn't been able to figure out how to overcome latency issues in order to create overdubs. However I persevered with the instructions a few days ago and have managed to make the necessary corrections to the settings of Audacity. So I'll likely make a few more such "duet" or even "trio" recordings in future.

One final thing. A little while back I launched a feature on the website called an A to Z of Irish Traditional Music which was, in essence, a series of playlists many of which are collaborative ventures with musical acquaintances. See https://theirishmandolin.com/an-a-to...itional-music/ I'm very much still open to further collaborations so if anyone would like to participate, please get in touch!

That's all for now...

Thanks for reading.

Aidan

5. The following members say thank you to Aidan Crossey for this post:

I thought I'd share a recently (as in 2 days ago!) composed tune with you. It's a 3/4 march in G Major which occurred to me as I was noodling around with a venerable 3/4 march associated with the O'Sullivan clan called The Eagle's Whistle. 3 versions of the tune in this video - mandolin solo, tenor guitar double-tracked and finally tenor guitar and mandolin together. Rough recordings but hopefully you'll get the gist. It's called The Hound's Gowl - which will be a term familiar to those members of the cafe who, like myself, were "rared" in the North of Ireland.

Aidan

Some time ago I came across John Cradden's superb website, http://TheCelticMandolin.co.uk Shortly afterwards John and I began a correspondence which has led to some interesting online collaborations. John has an ear - and an ability - for arranging and backing tunes which I simply don't and he offered to take some of my raw, solo mandolinery and add splashes of colour and detail which turn sketches into proper pictures...

Recently John has been working with two of my solo sound files and he sent me through the following. I'm very pleased with the results and I hope you enjoy them as a sort of "New Year's" gift.

John has said that he may revisit both at some stage, time and energy permitting (he's an incredibly busy man!), so who knows, I may have alternative versions to share further down the line.

Anyhow, here we go.

Nell Fee's - a 3-part polka which I was captivated by when I first heard it. Lilies Of The Field - a reel which I was introduced to by Michael Gregory (who will be well known to many who frequent this forum) and which has since become one of my favourite tunes. (Fittingly, I play the reel on a mandolin which Michael made, his G&O #34 which he generously gifted to me about a year ago...)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aidan Crossey For This Useful Post:

A few days ago I composed a polka - The Bottomless Well - and put together a video on my YouTube channel which sort of captures its gestation and eventual delivery...

Aidan