Thread: Simple setup ?

Default Simple setup ?

What kind of sandpaper should I use to shape bridge to top? Any other tools I need or tips? I'm setting up bridge on new mando? Any reference books or online courses that are good for basic setup?

Default Re: Simple setup ?

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and I will email you a copy for free (free to all mandolincafe members).
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I bought a jig from Cumberland Acoustic that holds the bridge perpendicular to the mandolin top. StewMac sells something similar. I thought the jig made the fitting process easier. You just put a piece of coarse sandpaper on the mandolin top, tough side up, and scrape the jig and bridge back and forth. After you get the bridge where it looks to fit, you go to a finer piece of sandpaper. Each time you move to finer sandpaper the paper will be thinner and refine the fit. I think 400 was the finest grit that came with the Cumberland Acoustic jig.

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/produ...tting-fixture/

Alternatively you should at least read this popular guide from Frank Ford about how to fit a bridge using a knife. http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...t/fitfeet.html
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and I will email you a copy for free (free to all mandolincafe members).
    I sent Rob an email Tuesday in hopes of getting his setup manual. So far I havent heard anything. Maybe he is busy. EE

thanks Doug, I just ordered my jig from Cumberland acoustic. Hopefully that's all I'll need til I can get it to Steve for a proper setup. I might try and order nut files and feeler guages as well though. I've also sent an email to Rob for the E-book.

8. The following members say thank you to Bluegrassbboy85 for this post:

I have one of the bridge jigs, from stewmac. It works really good. Pricey, like most of their stuff.

10. The following members say thank you to double E for this post:

well I ordered the bridge jig from Cumberland acoustic and manged to eff it up. The bridge is at an angle and not flat...I also sanded too much, the little gap is almost gone. If I sanded a little more to try to get it to flat just so I have something playable for now do I risk any damage to the mandolin? I'm gonna try and order a new bridge and do this again. If it wasn't for social distancing I'd just take it to Steve at Cumberland acoustic.