Thread: New Ukelele Day

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default New Ukelele Day

Bought a nice Tenor ukelele. It's mahogany with a pickup. It's from a manufacturer named Braidwood - bought in Sydney (Logan's at Burwood to be precise.)

I've done a google search but all I get is where you can buy them. Does anyone know anything about the company who makes them at all? (and where I might get more specs than 'mahogany' and 'pickup' and 'cutaway'?

Thanks in advance.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: New Ukelele Day

I found the instrument:

https://www.loganspianos.com.au/coll...x-tenor-uke-ae

From the price and the picture it's a standard, Chinese-made, laminate uke. Braidwood is not a well-known brand - I'm pretty sure some importer into Australia ordered a few hundred via Alibaba and chose Braidwood as the headstock logo. Quite possibly from this manufacturer, who uses what looks like the same body shape and headstock: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...b783222fxFw9LC

The specs, such as they are, will be:

All laminate construction with mahogany veneer
    "Mahogany" neck (this just means any brown wood which works as a neck)
    Rosewood fingerboard
    17 inch scale

I'm not sure there's much else to say.

If it plays nicely and you like the sound, you've done well.

A common problem with ukes at this price point is that the nut slots are not cut deep enough, so that it's hard to play some chords near the nut (Bb is the best test) and the intonation is out at the lower frets. Press a string down between frets 2 and 3 and see how much space there is between the string and the top of the first fret. If it is more than a hair, the nut slot could usefully come down. If there is a uke club in your town (once the current emergency is over) there will be someone there who fettles ukes and can sort this out in return for a beer.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: New Ukelele Day

Thank you for that. I値l post pics but the nut is ok. I知 going to sand the saddle down. And for the price I知 very happy with the sound and playability (except the high action from the saddle.).

I bought it from that link.

I知 yet to plug it in. I suspect it will be like all my acoustic pickups (except the fish man in my fender acoustic) - I値l use a mic if necessary.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;