Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GIROUARD F4 Delivered Today !!!

Default Re: GIROUARD F4 Delivered Today !!!

Wow! Beautiful! I love MUSIC, but I also love that the instruments, the tools used to make music, can be so beautiful and different. Different woods and shapes, different structural choices, different colors and finishes, all serving to amplify and shape the sound from a vibrating string.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

2. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

===========

If that arrived for me, I would definitely volunteer for 'self-confinement for 14 days'.

Enjoy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

hankyankees1 

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    If that arrived for me, I would definitely volunteer for 'self-confinement for 14 days'.

Enjoy.
    I'm trying but my wife keeps pushing out the door to work on a house !

6. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes that is one killer looking mandolin! I wish Gibson back in the day would've made say the F-2's and F-4's with the longer 5 scale neck with the elevated board! They would've been such better mandolins if they did that IMHO! I had a 1912 F-2 with a busted neck-bad heel crack I thought about re-necking with a 5 scale board and elevating the extension but I gave it to David Harvey for the work he's doing on my 1934 Joe Wilson F-5 copy that floated around for years in the vintage circle, it should be done soon-I can't hardly wait for that as it should be a great one as nobody ever put any cash in her to make it playable and to get the most out of it that can be had! I'm surprised it survived this long with absolutely no top bracing at all! What a miracle it never caved in but I highly doubt it was played much so that helped save the top!

===========

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I'm trying but my wife keeps pushing out the door to work on a house !
    Q: What's a four-letter word for 'NMD Killer'?
    A; 'Wife'

9. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

SWS 

Very cool. Every once in a while I think about getting an F4. Maybe will do it sometime down the road. Hopefully you can post a video playing it in the near future.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Very cool. Every once in a while I think about getting an F4. Maybe will do it sometime down the road. Hopefully you can post a video playing it in the near future.
    I don't have a proper way to record myself and if I did my playing would not give this mandolin the proper justice it deserves ! Sorry! If anyone lives close to central Illinois you are welcome to come by and play it ! Might even grill out for you !

Not bad for a hybrid

I’m sure it’s probably the picture/angle, but the top finish colour looks kind of uneven/blotchy. Can you upload another picture of the front without all the reflections?

I also would love to hear how it sounds ~ even an iPhone video would be great to give us a taste.

Enjoy it in good health!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

The F4 Girouard is Beautiful. I am envious. !

Just my personal take,...
    Port Orford Cedar (a true cypress and not a cedar) is one of the finer top woods I have used, especially in flat top instruments such as classical and flamenco guitars.

A very few luthiers use POC and keep it to themselves.

POC is native here in So Oregon and has been the main wood used by Les Stansel of Pistol River, Oregon for his flamenco guitars and ukes. He has been one of, if not the best, source for the highest quality POC in the country.

He has discontinued harvesting and milling.
    I believe his remaining stock is spoken for.

Would I buy a mandolin with POC, ? Only after I played it.

Would I use POC in my own mandolin, or other instrument, build ?.. Absolutely.
    I have a stash to last my lifetime and a back up should I need more.

It is similar to Alaska Yellow Cedar (also a true cypress). I also have a stash of AYC.

14. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Not bad for a hybrid

I’m sure it’s probably the picture/angle, but the top finish colour looks kind of uneven/blotchy. Can you upload another picture of the front without all the reflections?

I also would love to hear how it sounds ~ even an iPhone video would be great to give us a taste.

Enjoy it in good health!
    NOT blotchy or uneven at all ! Photo was taken by Max Girouard outdoors and under the bright sunlight a few of the photos appear a little different in color but not in my room !!

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    I’m sure it’s probably the picture/angle, but the top finish colour looks kind of uneven/blotchy.
    That top is figured/flamed like Jill's POC Girouard A oval. That's figure in the wood, not a finish problem.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    That top is figured/flamed like Jill's POC Girouard A oval. That's figure in the wood, not a finish problem.
    I didn't realize that was what John was referring to ! I thought a lighting issue ! As Don replied , it is the figure of this particular piece of PO. You can get PO with no figure but this figure like Jill's is what I wanted ! Good question though !

I don't know if that's what he's referring to either, but most people don't expect flamed/figured wood on a top.

Congrats on the beautiful F4. I have a Girouard mandola with the bog cedar top. A fine mandola.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

Don, what is big cedar and how does it differ from POC?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bruce (Spruce) got a hold of a cedar log that was fished out of bog after being in there who knows how long. After it cured, it was really great tonewood and Max built a bunch of instruments out of it. Completely different wood than the POC.

I have been asked what color stain on this mandolin . It is a pomegranate stain developed by Laurie Girouard !

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I have been asked what color stain on this mandolin . It is a pomegranate stain developed by Laurie Girouard !
    Looks delicious and has anti-oxident capabilities.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Had to take another look at the F4 photos, what a knock out.!!

I misspelled Les Stansell's last name.. it has 2 Ls.

Here's his web site..a bit about his instruments and Port Orford Cedar.

http://www.stansellguitars.com/

Several people have asked what strings are on my F4 and they are Curt Mangan Bluegrass Series medium. I also use CM Monel on my Girouard A oval.

Is that a concert model? Or just pure custom? I was considering ordering something similar from Max. I bet it sounds superb! Is it growing on you yet?

Concert model ! Superb in workmanship and sound ! Superb people ( Max and Laurie) too ! I would prefer playing only it but with three other mandolins I rotate between the four ! As with children, a parent should divide your attention among all your children and likewise with my four mandolins. You won't be sorry to order any model of mandolin ! The Girouard sound will be there !