Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taran Springwell

Default Taran Springwell

Greetings,
    I hope all of you all are staying safe during these crazy times. I have a new companion to keep me company during my isolation. A Taran Springwell in Scottish Sycamore. It arrived safely yesterday here in the US and it is the most brilliant mandolin I have had the privilege of owning! It has that compressed "pop" sound followed by wonderful sustain; the only instrument I have had that was in a similar league was a 198-something Sobell cittern. This thing is on par or perhaps even more enjoyable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200325_065019.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	436.8 KB 
ID:	184471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200325_065029.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	184472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200325_065044.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	184473  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Boatswain For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Taran Springwell

Delighted to see this! You may well find that the sound develops over the next year or more as you play it. My spruce topped one, no. 14 has just got better and better sonically as I have played it hard. Enjoy and maybe get a video up for us to hear?

Cheers Kevin Macleod

What a looker! I'll bet it sounds even better - enjoy!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Kevin has some fine examples of his playing of Taran instruments on his Vimeo channel, if I remember. Lovely instruments.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

7. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Identical to mine except mine is almost four years old now. Incredible, aren't they? I totally agree with Kevin - play it hard and listen for it to develop even more. Mine certainly did, within the first year, and I don't get to play that often. To me, the bass really came out more and the harmonics became richer in the first year. Congrats and enjoy your isolation time!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

9. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

That is so gorgeous. I think Kevin posted about these a few years ago and I've been wanting one since. It's not gonna happen, but a boy can dream.

Thank you gentlemen for the compliments on Springwell no. 23. Rory is certainly top notch and working with him on this was a pleasure.
    Also, thank you to Kevin for helping initiate the original Springwell project with Rory. For those of you unaware, Springwell is a fantastic album by Kevin that I highly recommend! One of these days I will try to get a little recording up. I'm sure my playing and my device won't do the fine instrument justice, however!

I am very much looking forward to hearing how the sound develops as you guys have mentioned. I originally wanted to go with something like cocobolo, but due to the CITES treaty and also based off of Rory's recommendation due to the sound characteristics I described to him that I was seeking, we went on Scottish Sycamore. Absolutely the correct choice and it is beautiful.
    I tuned the E string down to a D for a bouzouki tuning for a little fun this morning. Had a blast playing some Andy Irvine-style tunes with the bell-like sustain this produces.

Also, Eric, I know that these aren't the same price as an off-the-wall mandolin, but there are a few points I would like to make. First, a bespoke instrument like this is an investment; Kevin, you perhaps paid a only a few hundred for your Sobell back in the day? We all know the value of those now.
    Also, I am not a rich man by any means, but I was able to stomach the deposit required for the build (applied to the final price). Then, over the next year or so I set aside some money every month and paid 50% of the remaining balance. From there, I had another 6 months give or take to save up the rest and pay upon completion. I wanted to say this to provide a sliver of hope that you one day might be able to own one of these. For the quality of the instrument I believe this is excellent value for your dollar (or pound/euro/etc).

Thanks again gents!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boatswain For This Useful Post:

You will be amazed. Mine is from the Class of 2015 and it sounds better every day. I had the pleasure of traveling to Scotland last May to see Rory in his shop. You are in for a great experience with your mandolin.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

14. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! What an absolute beauty of a mandolin!

16. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Here's my Taran Guitar's "Springwell" mandolin recorded professionally on the cd "The Flowing Bowl" by Rakish.

Sounds good to me!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Have just been browsing the Taran website - Rory is about to close his order book for mandolins, so if anyone is interested, get in quick. He is offering 4 instruments of varying specs for late 2021 delivery, then won’t be producing any more for some time (and I suppose there is a risk he may not get back to building them again, depending on his guitar market).

20. The following members say thank you to Niall Anderson for this post:

Looks like two slots available. I debated on it but went with a flattop from Lawrence Nyberg instead. Being in the US the Taran just wound up being more than I wanted to spend. Really love the design though and the videos Kevin has done sound wonderful.

22. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Interesting! That is too bad that he won’t be making any more for some time after this next batch. I second the notion that if you’re thinking about it you should definitely snatch one up while you can.

24. The following members say thank you to Boatswain for this post:

Lovely playing as always Kevin! Thank you for sharing!
    My Springwell has, as many of you stated, continued to develop. I am amazed by the sound every single time I pick it up.

26. The following members say thank you to Boatswain for this post:

Thanks! First take if I remember rightly, as we hadn't rehearsed beyond the pub!

Bit of gloomy looking film, apt for these gloomy days without any live music, but the Springwell is developing and maturing beautifully, to my ears.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hi Kevin. Hope all well with you in this time of isolation. I am listening to your Taran through my headphones and yes, it has a great sound across the whole range. Might I add that your playing may well be developing and maturing beautifully too!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

31. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Hi John, good to hear from you in these weird and dangerous times. Maturing like an old cheese perhaps! Actually, it's quite hard to keep the fingers active and the brain up to gig playing speed, given there aren't any gigs or sessions or anything! But I've a raft of demos done towards a possible new recording, so if I get my act together, I might give it one last try. can't imagine if any would sell, but at this stage, it's just about keeping sane and enjoying the creative process! Best wishes, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Hi John, good to hear from you in these weird and dangerous times. Maturing like an old cheese perhaps! Actually, it's quite hard to keep the fingers active and the brain up to gig playing speed, given there aren't any gigs or sessions or anything! But I've a raft of demos done towards a possible new recording, so if I get my act together, I might give it one last try. can't imagine if any would sell, but at this stage, it's just about keeping sane and enjoying the creative process! Best wishes, Kevin
    It is hard to keep fingers and brain up to full speed. I sometimes think that going to a session and playing for about 3 hours is the equivalent of a sports person training.
    Taran is sounding good. What's the volume like compared to the Sobell?
    David A. Gordon

Definitely louder, and the cocobolo laminated sides certainly assist in volume and a slight extra zing/edge compared with the Indian rosewood Sobell. Still wouldn't bother with it at a session, as I'm drowned out usually by fiddles and pipes, but I love playing the mandolin after all these years. It's a delight to have both the Taran and the old 1983 Sobell. I tinkle on the 1922 Gibson F4 too, quite a different instrument, nearly 100 years old!

John Martin and George Duff were round in my garden during the summer for one tune, and I had a mandolin duo sesh with my brother in law Tim Jones on his Taran, but that's about it. Hope you are well, v best KHJM

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Definitely louder, and the cocobolo laminated sides certainly assist in volume and a slight extra zing/edge compared with the Indian rosewood Sobell. Still wouldn't bother with it at a session
    That's interesting.

I usually take my Collings to sessions. I think it cuts through better, but the Sobell has a fuller sound on stage.
    David A. Gordon

36. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Sadly, no sessions, ceilidhs, gigs, concerts .... all very grim! It'll be one helluva sesh when we finally get the chance again!!!

Maybe a mass descent on Achiltibuie and Springwell, Kevin? I still remember fondly that Friday evening session a few years ago in your kitchen there during the Summer Isles Festival. I was lucky enough to play along with Dagger and Ali Beag, Murdo and Donaidh from Stornoway and your brother-in-law Tim among others. Then the open afternoon in the community centre in Coigach and te big ceilidh in the evening. Ah, fond memories of live playing and great craic!

39. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Thanks for those Vimeo links to a great evening, Kevin. Had not realised it was so many years back. How time flies.

42. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post: