Thread: Chords to notes? How?

Blog Entries

Default Chords to notes? How?

Here's something that's always perplexed me. If I want too stay in a chord form but play a couple of single notes, how do I do that? Is there a video or exercise that teaches that? I lose my place on the fingerboard easily if I'm not anchored in a chord.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Chords to notes? How?

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Here's something that's always perplexed me. If I want too stay in a chord form but play a couple of single notes, how do I do that? Is there a video or exercise that teaches that? I lose my place on the fingerboard easily if I'm not anchored in a chord.
    Try to find a copy of "Mastering Mandolin" by Wayne Fugate. I found it to be an excellent source.
    awm

Here are the 6 possible shapes working off of the root.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mandolin 6 Possible Shapes.pdf  

Or contact Wayne. He gives Skype lessons.

I lose my place on the fingerboard easily if I'm not anchored in a chord.
    Learn the whole fretboard and this will no longer be an issue. It really sounds like you're asking for a quick workaround to avoid having to do this, but any workaround will continue to limit you as a player.
    1923 Gibson A-Jr
    2011 Kentucky KM-630

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig D. For This Useful Post:

The OP's original question is "Chords to notes?" which occurs to me could be better restated as "Notes to chords?". Agree with Craig D. above, learn the whole fret board and also some basic theory of how chords are constructed.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

...If I want too stay in a chord form but play a couple of single notes, how do I do that? I lose my place on the fingerboard easily if I'm not anchored in a chord.
    I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but I'll try. Let's say I want to play notes in the key of A. I can use the shape of the "chop" chord, with the root played by my second finger on the E string. [Move this shape one string to the right, to make it an A chord]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moveable_d-style.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	184588

My hand is hovering slightly above the fretboard. It forms the chop shape [though to some extent this is in my "mind's eye"]. I reach down from that shape to play chord tones, approach notes, and other melody notes. Doing this in practice exercises will anchor the chord form in your mind. Playing simple melodies is the best way to explore the notes in the shape. Expand this kind of practice to basic progressions. I believe there are only 2 useful movable chord shapes for playing basic music. Root on the second finger "chop" and root on the first finger. The latter is this moveable chord:

Name:	moveable_a-style.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	184587
    They interlock in patterns on the neck, and cover most of it.
    In all cases there may be other lower or higher notes to play. Using the movable A chord to play in E at the nut, for example.
    This, which I think of as an extension of the previous chord form.

Name:	moveable_e-style.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	184591
    Last edited by Joel Glassman; Mar-28-2020 at 5:11pm.

Do you mean to arrange, alter a melody or to harmonize ?

There are arpeggios, broken chords, and there are intervals, consonant or dissonant.

Cons= 1,5, 8, 12(5).... mostly used. diss equally important.

This subject is quite complex as far as counterpoint.

There is no way around practising and studying. Trying or reading. Great Songwriting by Perricone is one, The Chord Wheel another. Or Finding Chords to Match the Notes in Your Melody, Bruce Osborn, quite handy. And many more, depends how seriously you want to go into it.
    music theory for musicians and normal people toby w. rush ...
    https://tobyrush.com/theorypages/pdf...sic-theory.pdf ·

Have fun
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; Mar-29-2020 at 7:18am.