Thread: Good resources to learn arpeggios

Default Good resources to learn arpeggios

I'm on day 11 of quarantine here where I am, and have really been trying to familiarize myself with the fret board. I've been told that arpeggios are a really good way to go about that. Can anyone recommend a good resource? I'm having a hard time sifting through the whole of Youtube and all the ebooks and websites out there.

Y'all keep picking and stay safe out there!

Default Re: Good resources to learn arpeggios

Jazzmando.com

When finger picking guitar there are roll exercises for playing chords, often beginning and ending with the LOW root note. I’m looking for similar maybe starting with the high note, and memorisable from learning moveable chord shapes (I’m playing octave mandolin)
    This might be good for right hand and coordination practice ans singing/accompaniment.

3. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

With an instrument tuned in fifths the arpeggio pattern is always the same. Practice starting arpeggios on each finger. Work them in the I IV V VIm patterns relative to the Key. Then start practicing them starting on the III or the V tone so the pattern is tonally different but the shape is the same...…. have fun. R/

https://www.eastcoastmusic.com/Mike-.../zhl642157.htm
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

A small bit of music theory is very helpful. A knowledge of musical scales followed by a knowledge of chord building. Don't need to be an expert, just have a handle on the intervals, starting with major key.

If you have that, then learn the two basic patterns for playing a major arpeggio on mandolin. You'll find these very easy.

Once you have the basic major arpeggio patterns learned, and you've practiced them, you need to use them in your playing.

Now you need to practice extending them through two or more octaves.

Then you need to modify the patterns for minor key.

Then you need to modify the patterns for extended chords (maj7, 7, 6, etc.)

-------------------------------------

This doesn't come overnight, but as someone has suggested to you already, using this can unlock the fretboard and help you in your playing exponentially. I'm in the thick of it right now, making a few breakthroughs. It's important stuff, IMO.

You asked for a specific resource. Okay, but first I'd note that any comprehensive method book on mandolin will give you the help you need to get started. Some have been recommended, and more will probably be recommended, and any of the ones recommended will probably be just fine. They'll teach you about scales and about chord building, and they'll hopefully teach you the arpeggio patterns. Personally, I used Bradley Laird's Mandolin Master Class and documented my baby steps in The Woodshed Social Group here. I've also used Don Julin's Mandolin For Dummies. I've gotten good mileage out of an exercise by Tim O'Brien. There is also an interesting arpeggio exercise recently posted in the Video/Image forum by pluckinstrings.

But here is my recommendation, since you are asking about arpeggios specifically, rather than general mandolin method books: Homespun Videos' series, Mike Marshall's Arpeggio Workout found here: https://www.homespun.com/shop/produc...-for-mandolin/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVD-MSH-AW21-200x0.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	184466

In that video lesson set, Mike will go through everything I mentioned above in a nutshell. It is comprehensive, but it moves pretty fast, so it has the potential to help you for several years. Has done for me, anyway. Just start at the beginning, absorb what you can, and keep coming back to it from time to time as your playing develops.

Best of luck to you.

Name:	CMaj_Arpeggio_Pattern1.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	184467

Name:	CMaj_Arpeggio_Pattern2.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	184468
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Mar-25-2020 at 9:31am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Looks like my account isn't hooked up to my email, or I haven't been checking it much the past week or so, thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to work it into my practice "routine"

9. The following members say thank you to Lawnisg0tmail for this post: