Thread: Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar for under $160

Smile Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar for under $160

If anyone is interested.

Kala is offering 20% off with discount code: PLAYON through April 30th.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu...roducts/ka-gtr

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar for under $160

I thought mine was a good deal at $199! I have mine in Chicago tuning and it keeps getting better.

How often do they restock? Looks like they've been out for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I thought mine was a good deal at $199! I have mine in Chicago tuning and it keeps getting better.
    May I ask what strings you use for the Chicago tuning on the short scale of the Kala?

Mine was considerably more expansive, but mostly because of the shipping and customs fees here in the EU, but there was simply no other way of getting it here.

I was looking for a good TG alternative I could take anywhere without having to worry about its well-being. I'd rather not take my ~1930 Regal to a campfire, for example. Some folks may say I'm overly cautious here, but I don't feel that way.

That is a fantastic deal. I don't think they offer rosewood sides and back anymore. I had both a rosewood and a koa (and a friend bought another rosewood) and they were pretty close in sound. Very well built but sometimes you do have to play with the setup (they do have a very responsive truss rod). I bought them specifically because they were the same scale as my late 20's Regal. I live in Minn. Kept the upper end Regal humidified and left the two Kalas in different rooms with no humidity control over at least five years.. They handled that well. I just sold my two because I was not really using them anymore. Now playing a dola tuned four string mando.....go figure.
    Last edited by ajh; Jun-19-2021 at 8:56pm.

As I recall I reached out to Kala for their recommendation. I believe it was D’Addario lights or extra lights. I also tried classical strings on it. It’s a fun little guitar especially considering it’s price point. I’ve since passed it on to a friend. Be sure to humidify as mine developed a top crack due to my neglect. Enjoy. You might have to make a nut slot adjustment.

Question Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar - DGBE String Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicks View Post
    May I ask what strings you use for the Chicago tuning on the short scale of the Kala?
    Hi Frolicks,

Conventional wisdom says around 20 pounds (9 kg) per string or 80 pounds total (36 kg).

13-17-24W-32 is a possible starting point.

You can go up or down in gauges to fit your particular playing style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tension.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	194836

Here is a thread that covers a lot on the Kala:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ight=hand+kala

Good luck,
    Huck

9. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

Thanks, Huck, for your prompt response! And thanks, also, for the link to the indeed very helpful other thread!

Just two more questions, if you don‘t mind:
    1) how do you get all those neat little graphics for the string tension? Is that from some website, or something you set up yourself? Looks very helpful, although…
    2) wouldn’t it be necessary to also consider the string material? I keep reading that, e.g., silver-plated strings have less tension, in principle, than bronze string.
    I assume your graphics are for bronze or nickel strings? Alright, that made it three questions…

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

There are severle string tension calculators out there, they are not that easy to learn but quite easy once you work out the system.
    There may well be small discrepancies with types of steel string and even manufacturers but most are in the same ball park and a small difference wont matter much anyway.
    I use the Mc Donald string calculator even though is does not feature the tenor guitar directly it is still possible to use it for tenor guitars in any tuning.

Just two more questions, if you don‘t mind:

1) how do you get all those neat little graphics for the string tension? Is that from some website, or something you set up yourself? Looks very helpful, although…
    Posted is from the one I use most. Theo Parmakis' Instrument String Tension Calculator. It's quick and convenient, and I can eliminate and add courses of strings.: http://chordgen.rattree.co.uk/tensiontool.php#

I also use D'Addarrio's String Tension Pro, when it's up and running. Much more string materials for you to chose from, half gauges, etc.: http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/Home

Also popular with Cafe users: The McDonald Patent Universal String Tension Calculator.: http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

2) wouldn’t it be necessary to also consider the string material? I keep reading that, e.g., silver-plated strings have less tension, in principle, than bronze string.
    I assume your graphics are for bronze or nickel strings? Alright, that made it three questions…
    Yes, I do consider string material.

I use Phosphor Bronze or 80/20 for acoustics (very little tension difference). Nickel for electrics.

Hello Huck, thanks a lot for the links.. They seem to turn out really helpful, although the results between the D‘Addario and Theo‘s seem to differ somewhat. But that might as well be my fault, still trying to figure out all options the D‘Addario. At the very least, it’s a good starting point for some interesting string trials. Still, none of the three have an option to choose silverplated or silk and steel strings, which, from what I understand, are supposed to have less tension than nickel or bronze strings. And so far, I seem to prefer silverplated strings over bronze or nickel ones. But as you surely noticed, I‘m still a newby to the world of steel strings. I just came to the tenor guitarist a year back.

Therefore, I‘m really grateful for any advice. So thanks again!

Start with Silk and Steel and change the scale length.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	275aab027b2a74463e45b5c5d00478a0_380x0.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	194871

REFERENCE SET: EJ40 (Silver plated copper) at 25.5" scale:

String Note Gauge Tension
    1 E 4 0.0110 in. 19.63 lbs
    2 B 3 0.0140 in. 17.85 lbs
    3 G 3 0.0230 in. 22.57 lbs
    4 D 3 0.0280 in. 17.15 lbs

Around the same tensions at 23" scale:

0.0120 in. 19.01 lbs
    0.0160 in. 18.96 lbs
    0.0280 in. 24.87 lbs
    0.0320 in. 19.13 lbs

Try Just Strings (https://www.juststrings.com/folkdadd...lestrings.html) or Strings By Mail (https://www.stringsbymail.com/search...single&x=0&y=0) for singles.

It takes a little time, but string tension calculators do become easier to use. You will find a lot of options in String Tension Pro. You have to experiment. You can't break anything, so change variables and have fun. You may learn a little bit more about strings in the process. I did.
    Last edited by Huck; Jun-24-2021 at 7:06am. Reason: added stuff!