Thread: 1923 Lloyd Loar Previously Owned by Joe Val For Sale

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default 1923 Lloyd Loar Previously Owned by Joe Val For Sale

https://umgf.com/1923-gibson-lloyd-l....html#p2490626

Just saw this listing on UMGF.com

Wow!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1923 Lloyd Loar Previously Owned by Joe Val For Sale

OMG -- Joe Val, then with the Charles River Valley Boys, is probably the reason I play the mandolin (other than "inheriting" a Gibson A-1 from my grandfather's attic). I watched him many a time at Club 47 in Cambridge, though he was then playing an F-2, I think.

Price is stiff, as things go these days, but not totally blue-sky ($140K). Had I that kinda money -- which I don't, and won't -- I'd be sorely tempted.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

It´s a great mandolin. I´ve played it. It gave me a serious hearing adjustment towards other instruments. I´d have no qualms to own it.

The owner is a nice guy. I hope his health concerns are not threatening and he´ll do okay. I wish him well. When he had the mandolin on the market in those years back, the asking price was way higher (and no takers).
    Olaf

6. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I was going to ask 'why so cheap', but are the repairs and modifications are a factor? Thank you for posting.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

That would be a mighty fine Loar F-5 for someone! at 140K it may sit as I don't know anyone who is paying around that for a Loar but may be wrong? I've seen the same ones at dealers for a long time now-some years now and with all this world turmoil who knows they may go down big time if sales are needed? Just my opinion but Joe's is a mighty fine Loar from a relatively small batch.

I remember that one. At the Roxbury, CT Fiddle Contest well over decade ago, I entered the mandolin contest and competed (hah!) against Kevin on that Loar. It sounded great. I didn't win but got to hear a great sounding mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Just sitting three feet from that mandolin as it sings is an experience. So sad it has to part with a committed and caring owner, but he is wise to take care of his needs and pass it on to someone who will continue to care for it.

===========

I too had the opportunity to briefly play this mandolin, about 15 years ago; (I was too nervous and afraid to even hold it for more than about 30 seconds or so) . . . almost needless to say, it was quite nice. Somebody is going to pick up a beauty.