Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

Dear Cafe Members,

First of all, I hope you are all staying safe in these times. It's great to have mandolins to keep us sane (or insane, in case of MAS ).

I have two questions:

1- Any wide nut electric mandolins out there? I own a Godin A8 which is a very good instrument, but I can't really play on it the way I would on my MT2o or my wide nut MT both of which have a 1 3/16" nut width. I've pretty much given up on mandolins with a standard nut width, which unfortunately (for me) is the case for the vast majority of mandolins, thereby limiting my options significantly.

2- I've been using Dunlop Primetome picks almost exclusively for a while now. I prefer them to pretty much all other picks I've tried (including BC's). I use the the large triangle form and alternate between the 1.4 mm and 1.5 mm thicknesses, and smooth and textured models. These are very durable picks, as I've used them for a long time and have not noticed any significant wear on them. However, the textured picks sound completely different than the smooth ones, although both are supposedly made of the same material (Ultex). I even noticed that the textured picks have some bend to them, where as the smooth ones are very hard and difficult to bend. Does anyone have an idea why these picks feel and sound different? I like the tonal differences of each type, which is why I use both, and am wondering what other members have noticed or experienced when/if using these picks.

Cheers

Default Re: Two questions

I've tried the textured Primetone but I prefer the sculpted, smooth 1.3 in a couple of different shapes. I've been successful reshaping them to be as much like my Blue Chips as possible.

I just got a Belmuse that is awesome and they will make you anything you need. Definitely very electric though, not pseudo-acoustic like the A8. With electrics, I found the options were cheap and cheerful or custom. The Eastman Little Ricky was pretty cool and would suit lots of people, but the playability was more on the level of the Kentucky 250S my daughter has rather than something like your Weber. The Belmuse blows away the playability on my Eastman and Hofner which are both decent acoustics. Not sure on the picks as I tend to use the small jazz 1-1.5s or a 60 depending on what I'm playing. Good luck and stay safe!
    Paul Cowan
    Hofner 545
    Eastman MD-605
    Belmuse DC-8

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRNassif View Post
    Dear Cafe Members,

First of all, I hope you are all staying safe in these times. It's great to have mandolins to keep us sane (or insane, in case of MAS ).

I have ... questions:..... Does anyone have an idea why these picks feel and sound different? I like the tonal differences of each type, which is why I use both, and am wondering what other members have noticed or experienced when/if using these picks.

Cheers
    My observations are similar to yours.
    Why are the two Primetone picks different if make of the same stuff?
    Have you compared coal and diamonds?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”