Thread: String not ringing out

Default String not ringing out

I lowered my string height at the nut a few nights ago by filing the nut slots. Everything seemed to have went well.While playing tonight It seems maybe my top A string isnt ringing out as much, sounds a slight bit deader sounding. I dont think its my imagination. I just put new strings on. Do you think Its possible that my nut slot filing could have caused this. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. What do you experienced guys say?

Default Re: String not ringing out

Can you look closely and see the difference between the two A strings above the first fret. Raise your saddle a little and see if it goes away. Look closely also at the slot itself, if the string is deep in the slot is it pinched. Just a few to check, I am still on my first cup this morning.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Does the string have a good break angle in the slot? Is it pinched or too loose?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Is the difference between the strings still there when fretted at the 1st fret? If yes, it's the saddle slot position - after restringing, the bridge often tends to lean towards the headstock, which can compromise the way a string approaches the saddle; the bridge should be set straight again in this case (loosening the strings and slight taps with a wooden rod and a hammer).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Thanks for the good suggestions. I will check all of them. I'm betting its at the nut where i filed it. I dropped it about 8 thousandths, so maybe its to low now, or my break angle is off some.

Just for follow up, so you know, it was the nut slot. I made a couple of light strokes at the proper angle through that slot last night and, presto. Now it rings out with the other A string perfectly. You can learn something new everyday! Thanks for the suggestions. EE