Thread: Transplanting a new tenon in a screwed up neck joint

Blog Entries

Default Transplanting a new tenon in a screwed up neck joint

So ... remember I'm an amateur, so I don't have to make an economic analysis that "this will waste time I can use to make a living."

That said: Years ago I built a mandola in which I was never happy about the neck joint. My son liked the instrument and took it with him. While he was traveling, the neck joint started to come apart. When I looked at it, I knew immediately what had happened. So I took the neck off and took a look ...

One of the problems (one of many problems with that neck joint) is that the tenon--which is a kind of rounded dovetailish thing fitting into a rounded dovetailish mortise--is a mess (as is the mortise). So I cut it off and intend to attach a new rectangular tenon to go into a newly cut rectangular mortise.

But I'm a little uncertain about how to attach the new tenon to the neck. Any ideas?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Transplanting a new tenon in a screwed up neck joint

How about a floating tenon, a la Festool Domino? Or a floating tenon, and a bolt?

So the tenon was original neck heel wood and now that has been cut off flush where the neck/body join?
    If any of the first tenon wood remains you could build off of it, maybe?
    Lots of necks get mounted with screws, or other mechanical means...
    I don't know the engineering difference from a tenon that ends in the head block versus a tenon that would end in a neck heel.

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the term "floating tenon," though when I looked it up, I guess I've used something similar. Does "floating" mean its just not an integral part of one of the parts to be joined, or that it's not glued on one or both ends?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

How about this:

* Remove fretboard

* Cut channel for new tenon

*Glue in new tenon

If you're planning to bolt this as well as gluing it, you could either drill the tenon to accept a tapped metal rod to take the bolt, or make the tenon a sandwich so that your threaded insert can bite into side grain.

Adrian Minarovic

It's too late now but by cutting it away you probably lost the easiest and strongest possibility of rebuilding the tenon... but pics would help alot to judge the situation...
    Adrian