Thread: Changing strings--winding and leaving?

Blog Entries

Default Changing strings--winding and leaving?

I know that there was a recent string about changing strings, but I can't find it now. So I'm following up with a separate thread. Sorry. (I should'a asked this before I replaced 9 strings on my octave, but late is better than never.)

One thing I remember was that there was a discussion about how some people wind the string around the post several times ... which sounded pretty smart. But now that I'm starting to change strings on my instruments, I can't figure out what that means. Winding before you thread through the hole? Winding after you thread but before you tighten? And do you put the bitter end up vertically where the string under load will act as a brake?

Second: how much of the excess string do you leave "on" after you cut the excess off?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing strings--winding and leaving?

There is a range of opinion, but here's my experience. Extra turns around the peg reduce slip, and modern tuner pegs are concave to drive the turns tight against each other. (Boats have capstans that have the same profile. for securing ropes.) I like two turns for the fat, wound strings, and three for the plain strings.

I begin with excess outside of the peg, and a sharp bend at the peg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stringing01.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	184371

Hold the string down as you turn the winder.

Name:	Stringing02.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	184372

I trim the excess, near the peg, keeping the bent portion for good holding.

Name:	Stringing04.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	184373

I never have strings slip, or break at the peg.

It can be a little tricky holding those loop-end strings in place at the tailpiece while messing with the pegs--a large piece of that removable masking tape, like the blue stuff, is one way to secure the strings at the tailpiece and bridge while winding.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

There are a ton of different ways you can do it, try a few of them and decide what you like best.
    I like to wind the strings around the peg 2-3 times, then put the end through the hole and tighten up. For me they usually end up looking neat and it saves a lot of turning the pegs.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

+1 What Drew said.

And now ...

Some tips for changing strings: First off, it does help if you have three hands. Unfortunately, I'm one of the billions who were born with the standard two. Another thing, if you are a smoker, you should quit for health reasons. If, like me, you refuse to quit, then refrain from starting a cigarette during the process. It will probably go to ash, as string changing does require a bit of time and concentration. It might also be a good idea to refrain from an excess of alcohol. There have been rumors that alcohol in excess may impair your abilities, and though I'm not one to follow after every rumor, it is best to err on the side of caution.

Another helpful tip is to keep a tiny screwdriver handy. I have a cast tailpiece that has little "posts" on it, over which you put the loop ends, and I find a tiny screwdriver comes in handy to push the loops down the post flat against the bottom once a little tension is on them.

If you use D'Addario strings, this tip might help you: They have begun to put little colored pieces of paper with goo holding them together on many of the string sets. I have no rational explanation for this, only theories and more rumor. Perhaps they are for persons (who are not color blind), whose vision is such that they can discern color, but cannot distinguish between fatter and thinner string gauges by looking at them. Or, they are there for the people who have color coded tailpieces (which I haven't yet seen in the wild). Or perhaps the company that provides these paper tabs is owned by a child or grandchild of some D'Addario heavyweight (aka the so-called "nepotism theory"). Your guess is as good as any. No matter. Some folk have complained that they have trouble removing these paper tabs without leaving a sticky residue on the strings. So here are two tips ... (1) Don't worry about the residue, it won't hurt and may even help dampen unwanted sympathetic overtones [another rumor], and (2) I have found that if you hold the tab carefully with your left hand, and pull only one string through the fold of the paper saddle, breaking it free of the paper saddle, then remove the second string through that same open flap, you can get around the residue problem completely. Note: If you simply yank both strings at once, well, hello residue city.

I have a great number more tips for changing strings, but have written too much already. Enjoy your down time. Watch out for what you call "the bitter end" as it has been known to bite.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Has anyone tried one of these?

Name:	eball.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	184379

I like the method mentioned by Drew above. If you wind the string and then put it thru the hole, only a few turns of the tuner are needed.

After I get the string looped to the tailpiece, up the neck and across the nut slot, I put a capo near the nut to hold everything while I take up the small amount of slack.
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk

9. The following members say thank you to 40bpm for this post:

What Tom Said. I would just add to hold the string tuat while winding.

When I found this clip by Brad Laird a few years ago, my string changing life changed forever. Nothing could be easier or quicker, no slipping off at the loop end, no three hands, just easy and quick string changing. In all these years and multi mandos, I've never had a string slip or break. Give it a try.

TOM LAIRD VID: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Hk34p2OBA&t=6s

Name:	IMG_1235.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	184386
    Last edited by Dillon; Mar-21-2020 at 10:19am.

12. The following members say thank you to Dillon for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah Dillion that's the way I have been doing it for decades other than adding a capo to act as a third hand. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

RE: electric string winder

I don't know if I should admit this publicly, but I use a manual one from my misbegotten banjo days.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

15. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

I use a manual winder. Find it works better. Otherwise, am like most others, although I do like to pull the A and E string through the hole, wrap it counterclockwise around the post and bring it up underneath the string before winding. Learned that from an old Bob Taylor sheet in the early 1990's. Been my standard on both guitar and mandolin since. It seems to slow down slippage for me.

Also, if using EXP or other coated strings, found that I needed to do that on all 8 mandolin strings. At least on my vintage Gibson oval hole without a concave surface on the tuner. Otherwise they would keep slipping.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723