Thread: Removing pick guard (glued?)

Default Removing pick guard (glued?)

I just bought a $300 Kentucky and would like to remove the pick guard (for aesthetics). The guard itself came off easily, but there is a little wood block glued to the neck. Any advice for removing this piece without damaging anything?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickguard.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	184355

Default Re: Removing pick guard (glued?)

I tried blowing it for a couple minutes with the hair dryer, but it still wouldn't budge. I was afraid of overheating other parts of the mandolin, so I gave up. Would some targeted steam work? Or is that dangerous too?

Blog Entries

Might consider leaving it in place, perhaps cleaning it up so it doesn't look ugly; then the next owner can still use the pick guard if desired.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Clean it up, and just leave it there! It's not blocking or hindering anything, and -- who knows? -- you might want to replace the pick guard someday, for example, if you find yourself damaging the top surface of the mandolin with your playing technique, or if you ultimately decide to sell the mandoiin. Which you may well, as you progress, because it's a fairly low-end instrument. A pick guard is an attractive selling point to potential buyers who might prefer these. No sense in burning your bridges behind you.

It looks like there are 2 small phillips wood screws in the lower portion that should allow easy removal. You could then glue this piece back onto the pickguard that you've already removed and put it aside for future use.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Thanks for the feedback! I used my espresso maker to hit it with a few shots of steam from the steam wand, gave it a tug, and it popped off (just glue, no screws or pins). There's a little glue residue I can clean up later. But I saved all the pieces so if I sell it someday I can reattach the pick-guard. Cheers!