Thread: A new prototype mandolin

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default A new prototype mandolin

One of my projects over the next year or so is building a mandolin quartet, maybe even a couple. I am not sure what is going to happen to them once they are built, but we will see what happens. I have been playing around with a design idea much inspired by guitars built by the wonderful Claudio and Claudia Pagelli in Switzerland. (I did write and seek permission and they have not said no). Here are some pics of the first prototype mandolin. Englemann spruce and some plain European maple with a subtle amber shaded sunburst finish. Ebony fingerboard and head overlay with tortoise celluloid binding. The neck is bolted on from outside, using an M4 threaded insert in the back of the neck block and a socket head bolt through the heel. My wife suggests that it looks like something from The Jetsons and it was that 50s jazz LP cover vibe which attracted me to the design in the first place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quartet_prototype1s.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	184333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quartet_prototype2s.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	184334

Name:	Quartet_prototype3s.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	184335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quartet_prototype4s.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	184336

Name:	Quartet_prototype5s.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	184337

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: A new prototype mandolin

Interesting. What are the pros and cons on a bolt-on neck?
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Really cool, Graham. IMHO, the tailpiece looks out of place though--needs something more modern to fit with the rest of the design.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I'm a classicist who usually hates modern instrument design. But this grabs me. It just looks right. And cool. And lasting. All the good stuff. I would run with it and run hard.

Very cool!
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Interesting Graham, thanks for sharing. Is it possible to share an audio file?

Pros and cons of a bolt on neck. The Pro is that your can take the neck off and adjust the angle and if it was a bit more sophisticated the overstand as well. The main Con is that you can see the bolt that holds it on. The number of bolt-on necks on guitars shows pretty conclusively that there is no appreciable acoustic downside, though I am sure there are those who will disagree.

I agree with Don about the tailpiece. The asymmetry of the body means it has to be clumsily attached and the next one will have one held by a vertical pin through the tailblock that will be self-centering and be adjustable for height.

It is an evolving project. While the body is the same 10" width of a standard A model I think the enclosed air volume might be less and that would tend to push up the body air resonance. The basic ring-mode tap-tones of the soundboard and back were about what I aim for and they were quite closely matched. One of the family remarked that the body looked smaller than usual and it might work visually and acoustically 1/4" or so wider and longer. Here is a pic of the mandolin side by side with an A style I made last year.

Name:	size_comparison.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	184338

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Super cool!
    Impressive.
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Graham - I always like to see non-traditional design elements and this is a real looker. Agree with the comments about the tailpiece, but that is an easy fix. Would love to hear a sound sample!

I really like it. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, because it sure looks fine!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

===========

Nice - keep up the good work!

That mandolin looks fantastic - Modern styling but not completely detached from tradition. Love the sloped shoulders and cutaway.
    Your family member mentioned making it 1/4” wider and longer.... from the pics, I would say deeper instead? Body depth looks more like my pancake than my F mandolin (relative to the neck size)... or is that just an aspect of a Jazz mando that I don’t know about?

Really eager to hear how it sounds!

Graham, that mandolin is awesome! I love your style! When I was playing out a lot, I usually had some one refer to my mandolin as a “little bitty gee-tar”. That would fit the bill nicely!

LOVE the Jetsons/50s jazz vibe! I can't wait to see the mandocello with the new tailpiece design, whenever that is completed.
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

I totally dig the vibe this one is putting off. I wonder how it would look with some jazz box colors like red or blue or green. I also agree on the tailpiece design change but, you work with what's on hand as you develop, eh? Great look, Graham!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Along with the previous comments (I also think a different tailpiece will suit it better), the color of the burst is just perfect for the aesthetic. Great to see designs stretching past the norm.

I love it also. Slightly reminiscent of a modernized Maccaferri-style design, which I also love. Would love to hear this one!
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Graham, you've made me realize that I can really get into something with a non-traditional look. You're on the right path. Looking forward to seeing more.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Nice, but maybe a lightly glued plug over the bolt would be a bit better, my taste anyway.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

23. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Great looking, you may be able to incorporate a strap button into the screw for the neck so it is not noticeable. I don't mind the screw, and don't usually like strap buttons there. In this case it would hide the bolt on for those that don't like it, and do double duty for a strap
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Some audio, courtesy of my friend Tony Hunter https://soundcloud.com/graham-mcdona...-times-thunter

The tune seemed appropriate.

Recorded on a Zoom H1n

Name:	Tony.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	184400

26. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Sounds really nice, and I love the shape of that instrument.

As for size, I think the cutaway there allows for a 12 fret body join with gives a bit of freedom to the body dimensions and sound holes. My own feeling anyway.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post

Name:	Quartet_prototype3s.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	184335
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Pros and cons of a bolt on neck. The Pro is that your can take the neck off and adjust the angle and if it was a bit more sophisticated the overstand as well. The main Con is that you can see the bolt that holds it on. The number of bolt-on necks on guitars shows pretty conclusively that there is no appreciable acoustic downside, though I am sure there are those who will disagree.
    From what I can see is that your design also has a minimal neck heel allowing better access when in the stratosphere frets although I suppose that you can do that with a set neck too. Am I correct on that or not?

I, too, love the design. I love modernistic designs that work to my eye and sound good to my ear. I think this fits into that category along with Jacobson, Condino, Beardsell and LeStock. Wonderful! Keep up the work!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The treble side of the body hits at the 15th fret, so better access to those who play high up the neck. The method of attachment does not really matter here. It could be a dovetail just as effectively. At the same I could quite happily have a mandolin with just seven frets. It would not limit my playing 8-)