Thread: NMD 1989 Flatiron Performer A

Default NMD 1989 Flatiron Performer A

MAS struck again. Was looking for a used mando with a pickup. And if it were a Flatiron that would be extra nice. Why? No reason except I've never owned a carved top one but every time I tried one I wanted one.

A few lucky breaks later this one showed up on Reverb. Some quick decision making meant it was shipped to Minnesota and arrived last Thursday.

Not sure if the Fishman(?) saddle pickup is stock. Have found a few similar ones including with the wiring in the bass side F hole. And a quick look inside shows a clean endpin jack install. The vintage Barcus Berry 1/8" jack is strange. Everything works.

Neck is a very nice V shape. Still getting used to the string spacing and a few other quirks. But was able to take it to two musical gatherings and it was quite well received. The back is a very nice looking maple. Not sure why a partial speed neck was done. Doesn't hurt or help. Just weird.

How's the sound? Quite good. More Gibson than Collings. It claims a good space. Worked well with my duet fiddler. She could easily hear it and liked the tone.

Only strange part was the A string had a slight metallic buzzing sound. Finally traced it to the wiring coming out of the pickup vibrating on the top. Hence the small amount of putty to keep things in place. If anyone has a better suggestion, would like to hear it.

Still haven't settled on a pick for it. Moving between a Wegen BG 1.0 and a Primetone around the same thickness.

Here are a few photos to prove it did happen -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron Performer front resized.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	184329

Name:	Flatiron Performer back resized.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	184330

Name:	Flatiron Performer flame resized.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	184331
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD 1989 Flatiron Performer A

Take your jack out and twist it to twist the wire so it won't hit the top. I have had success with this several times and usually do it when I install a pickup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Welcome to the Flatiron Performer A Club, you're going to really like it. Good thing you've got the wrist rest and pick-up; won't get too confusing if I sit next to you with my '96 Performer-A.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

6. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats!!! When I met up with David Mold a while back to give his Silverangel a try, he had a Flatiron (think an A Jr) and I really liked how it sounded and have contemplated adding to my collection every since.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

8. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Congratulations!

Interesting about the A string and the pickup wire! I would never have thought about that.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

10. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Congrats!!! When I met up with David Mold a while back to give his Silverangel a try, he had a Flatiron (think an A Jr) and I really liked how it sounded and have contemplated adding to my collection every since.
    Spencer, I snagged a 1994 Flatiron Festival A from Bozeman, MT about a month ago and I love it. I think that would be after Gibson bought the company. But it sounds better to my ear than any Gibson I have played except for the high end ones. It is very successfully competing with my Webers for my attention. I am going to try to get the Newbies tune of the month done with it some time this week. I can't believe how good it sounds for less than $1k.

(just a testimonial - not for sale)
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

12. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post: